Friday, February 17, 2012

A Tribute to Dogs and a Recipe for Dog Treats


Have you ever loved a dog?

I have loved a few. I love their devotion, their innocence, their trust, their loyalty. What other friend would put themselves between you and danger, always be happy to see you, never judge you, offer comfort and joy and kisses no matter what, when or where?


"His ears were often the first thing to catch my tears."

Elizabeth Barrett Browning, referring to her Cocker Spaniel, Flush.

My very first dog was the only companion that witnessed my whole childhood. She slept at the foot of my bed each and every night, went everywhere she could with me, including solitary trips in my little row boat, and suffered with me through childhood hurts, stoically leaning into my sad embraces. How I loved that dog! When I lost her due to old age, I thought I would never get over the grief. I love her still.

"The poor dog, in life the firmest friend,
The first to welcome, foremost to defend."

Lord Byron


"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."

Anatole France

"Folk will know how large your soul is, by the way you treat a dog!"

Charles F. Doran


"This soldier, I realized, must have had friends at home and in his regiment; yet he lay there deserted by all except his dog. I looked on, unmoved, at battles which decided the future of nations. Tearless, I had given orders which brought death to thousands. Yet here I was stirred, profoundly stirred, stirred to tears. And by what? By the grief of one dog."

Napoleon Bonaparte, on finding a dog beside the body of his dead master, licking his face and howling, on a moonlit field after a battle. Napoleon was haunted by this scene until his own death.



"My dear old dog, most constant of all friends."

William Croswell Doane

"The dog has no ambition, no self interest, no desire for vengeance, no fear other than that of displeasing."

Count of Buffon

Thomas A. Edison was once reluctantly persuaded by his wife to attend one of the big social functions of the season in New York. At last the inventor managed to escape the crowd of people vying for his attention, and sat alone unnoticed in a corner. Edison kept looking at his watch with a resigned look on his face. A friend edged near to him unnoticed and heard the inventor mutter to himself with a sigh, "If there were only a dog here!"



If you have a special dog in your life, here is a treat I am sure he will enjoy!

Dog Biscuits

2-1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 cup Powdered Milk
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
1 Tb. Wheat Germ
1 tsp. Beef Bouillon (granules)
6 Tb. Bacon Grease or Meat Drippings
2 Eggs
1/2 cup Ice Water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all dry ingredients. Cut in drippings. Mix in eggs. Add enough ice water for mixture to form a ball. Pat out to 1/2" thick. Cut out. Bake 25-30 minutes. Cool.

Keep in mind that baking these will fill your kitchen with a smell resembling dirty sweat socks! So crack a window or light a scented candle!


You can buy this cool biscuit cutter at www.AnnClark.com or look for one in your local pet shop. The recipe came with the cutter. The heart shaped cutter is one I had.


This recipe made 4 large biscuits and a dozen small ones.


This would make a great gift for a dog lover! Present the biscuits in a new dog dish along with the cutters and recipe, and tie it all up with a new leash or collar.


They were pronounced 'Delicious' by the 'Test Kitchen!'


Just don't try to steal it back!

Guaranteed to bring a smile (or snarl) to your beloved friend.

Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Oh what a fabulous post! That last "hands-off" photo made me laugh out loud. And here's the weirdest thing, Karen. Guess what book I just started reading? "Dogs that Know When Their Owners Are Coming Home," by the biologist Rupert Sheldrake. It's about telepathy between humans and their pets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christine, I know, that photo speaks without words!

    I love that you happened to be reading that book! You will have to let me know if I should put it on the reading list! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are important to me and are very much appreciated. xx Karen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...