I have the perfect solution when these last few weeks of winter have you feeling a little, well, tired of it all.
These are melt in your mouth yummy. And very easy to make. They taste like fudgicles! Rich and creamy. Perfect for popping in your mouth when you need a little pick me up. They will also impress your family and guests. Nobody has to know how simple they are!
makes about 36 truffles
10 oz. good-quality semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 cup heavy cream
4 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tbsp light corn syrup
cocoa powder, coconut, crushed butter mints, sprinkles, crushed cookie or graham cracker crumbs, or crushed nuts for toppings
1. Put the chocolate in a large microwave-safe container and heat, at medium power, stirring every minute, until most of chocolate is melted
2. Bring the cream to a boil in a saucepan on the stove or in the microwave. Remove from heat; pour the cream over the chocolate, stirring until the mixture is thick, smooth and shiny.
3. Stir the butter into the mixture in 4 or 5 additions, stirring gently until it's again smooth and shiny. Stir in the corn syrup.
4. Line an 8x8 inch baking pan with plastic wrap; pour in the mixture. Press another piece of plastic wrap against the chocolate on top and put the pan in the refrigerator for about 2 hours, or until mixture is firm.
5. To form truffles, line a baking sheet with waxed paper. Remove the plastic wrap off the top and turn out the mixture onto a cutting board, remove the bottom plastic, and cut the chocolate into small cubes. Or scoop out rounded teaspoonfuls of chocolate from the pan. Put cocoa powder and/or other toppings in small bowls. One by one, roll the pieces between your palms to make compact balls, then drop them into the cocoa or other toppings and turn to coat. Put the finished truffles on the lined baking sheet.
( I used crushed pink butter mints, sprinkles, coconut and red sugar )
6. Return the truffles to the fridge so they become firm again. Serve cold.
I know it will be difficult, but try to share! Just make sure you stash a few behind the cottage cheese so you can find them when you need them (and nobody else will even think to look there ).
Enjoy! (And wipe that chocolate off your lips!)