Friday, March 13, 2015

A Wee Bit O' the Irish


Hello, Dear Friends, today I have a 
wee bit o' Irish crafting to share with you
for St. Patrick's Day! 

My model, 'Kathleen O'Balloon' :) is wearing a 
shamrock headband and 'Irish' 
necklace that I made. 


Both of these are very easy to make
and will keep you from being
pinched on St. Patrick's Day! 


The necklace was made with alphabet
beads, ribbon and buttons. 

If you are not Irish, you can spell
out, 'Irish Today' ! 


To make the headband, you will need: 

green felt, 
A green cloth covered headband,
a thin piece of cardboard to make a template, 
and some green thread and needle. 

I saw this idea in Martha Stewart Magazine a few years ago. 

To draw the template, first make one
on paper with a pencil. 
For the design, think of 3 intersecting hearts <3
with a stem. 
Cut it out and then trace onto cardboard. 
Place on felt and draw around it with a pen. 
Cut out. 


To give the shamrock dimension, 
pinch it horizontally and take a stitch or two
to hold it, 
then pinch it vertically, 
stitching in place. 
Sew it with a few stitches to the headband 
and you are done! 

If you can't find a headband, 
simply pin the shamrock to your lapel
with a hatpin! 


For the necklace, (which is my own design)
you will need:

Alphabet beads
thin green ribbon
green thread and a needle 
(thin enough to fit through the beads)
4 tiny green buttons and l larger button for clasp. 
Fast drying glue


To begin, measure the length you would like
your necklace, from the back of your neck. 

Triple this measurement and cut two pieces
of ribbon to this measurement. 

Take one piece and double it. 
Using a long double length of thread
(this will be used for buttons and the beading)
sew the button to the folded part of the ribbon. 


Without breaking the thread, slide the beads onto it, 
then with the 2nd length of ribbon folded in half, 
sew the second button onto the fold, as shown. 

Don't pull the thread too tight along the beads
or they won't lie right. 

Turn the necklace over and sew another button
to the backs of the existing buttons. 

(Simply bring the needle through both buttons
to stitch)


To create the clasp, knot the ribbon end and sew a larger 
button to it securely. 

Make a loop on the opposite side, 
just large enough to slip over the button. 

Use a dab of fast drying glue to secure the knots
 and trim off loose ends. 


Tie knots at evenly spaced intervals 
along the length of each side. 


That's all there is to it! 


May your thoughts be as glad 
as the shamrocks, 
May your heart be as light
as a song, 
May each day bring you 
bright, happy hours,
That stay with you all year long. 

xoxo

Happy Crafting Dear Friends! 

xoxo


23 comments:

  1. A fun post, thanks for sharing the "how-to" for that sweet necklace. Top of the morning or afternoon to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so very cute. i like kathleen o'balloon, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute idea. I love the necklace and think I still have some of those beads! Enjoy your weekend my friend! Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, if those aren't the cutest things ever! I love both of them...and both easy enough to do, too.

    I only have ONE fault...I think Miz Kathleen O'Balloon should have had red hair as befits such a colleen. lol

    Thanks for visiting me lil' ol' Irish blog...- love ya, kiddo! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Karen,
    Very well put together and fun to make.
    Love your model Kathleen O'Balloon!
    Hugs and happy weekend.
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is so pretty but then she is an Irish colleen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am smitten by your creativity, Karen - The pretty green ribbon necklace reflects the light in very pretty way ... and the alphabet beans!
    I got to know some wonderful people from Ireland in the Bible School, so the country has been near my heart ever since :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am smitten by your creativity, Karen - The pretty green ribbon necklace reflects the light in very pretty way ... and the alphabet beans!
    I got to know some wonderful people from Ireland in the Bible School, so the country has been near my heart ever since :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, how cute both projects are, Karen! Thanks for sharing your creativity with us.
    Happy Weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are such a clever lady Karen! The necklace is brilliant and I love the idea of 'Irish today!'. The headband is also inspired. However, I especially love your model. Isn't she a cutey pie?!! I do hope she was suitably behaved and wasn't just full of hot air :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both ideas are nice and you gave very clear instructions. I'm wondering where I could find alphabet beads around here. I think I saw some at the craft store (which is very small).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your post reminded me.... I need something green for St. Paddy's day. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely post! Your inspiration give me so many ideas...
    Have a great evening!
    Warm hug,
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Karen, this is such a fun, creative idea you have shared today. The headband is perfect with the shamrock embellishment. And, I love the way you finished off the necklace with the button clasp. I may have to go down to my local craft shop and pick up the supplies needed. I hope you have a great St. Patrick's Day, too! Wishing you the very best.....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your Irish girl is cute, Karen. It adds a little Irish charm to your house. Such a clever idea.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  16. So pretty!! I love them both & hope you wear them on Tuesday! Love your model too. She's adorable! Lol

    What can't you do Lady? Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are such cute ideas and my grand daughter would love these. Thanks for sharing the instructions....I hope you are having a great weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  18. How cute! Happy St. Paddy's Day to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love all this friend!!! We were at the St. Patrick's Day parade today in town. I would really like to give these a go for next year when we out out for our celebrations! And your little model is adorable up there! I think my bean girl will be able to make that necklace!! Thanks for the inspiration friend! Happy St. Paddy's Day to you! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a lovely, fun post, Karen! Like everybody here, I find Kathleen O'Balloon simply adorable.
    Your projects are beautiful!
    Thank you for sharing & Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cute ideas Karen. I like the necklace and of course your model, Ms. Kathleen O'Balloon. Happy St. Patty's day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your necklace looks really sweet Karen! Happy St. Patrick's day to you!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Karen, I love the headband and the necklace you made for St. Patricks Day! Thanks for sharing the tutorial on how to make them. They will look perfect on you tomorrow. I hope you have fun celebrating. Thanks for your sweet comment on the spring wreath I made too! Take care.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are important to me and are very much appreciated. xx Karen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...