Friday, March 15, 2013

Shamrock Cookies for St. Patrick's Day



I do love baking special treats for my Dear Family. 

I especially love to see those Irish Eyes a Smiling. 

And these Shamrock Sugar Cookies are just the thing to bring a smile to any Lass or Laddie's face, whether they've kissed the Blarney Stone or not.




This is my Grandmother's special recipe. 

And my own family's favorite. 

I think you might like it, too! 


Beatrice Euphemie's Glazed Sugar Cookies

Makes 4 dozen small cookies or 2 dozen large. 

Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 375 degrees for 8 minutes or until done. 

Chill dough for 3 hours. 

Sugar Cookies

1/2 cup butter

2 cups sugar

2 eggs

1/3 cup milk

2 tsp vanilla

4 cups sifted flour

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

Glaze (recipe follows)


Stir together flour, baking powder, and 1/2 tsp salt. 

In separate large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar together with mixer until fluffy. Add eggs, milk and vanilla, beat well. 

Add dry ingredients to beaten mixture, beating until well combined. 
(This step can be done with a wooden spoon) 

Divide dough into two sections, form into flattened rounds, and wrap each tightly in plastic wrap. 
Chill at least 3 hours or overnight. 

Remove from refrigerator and let set at room temp. about 10-15 min. to soften.
Working with 1/2 of the dough at a time, on a lightly floured surface, roll to 1/8 inch thickness. 

Cut into desired shape. 

( I used a hand drawn cardboard template )



Place on ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake in a 375 degree oven
8 min. or until done (slightly golden around the edges and the bottom)  

Remove with spatula to cooling racks and cool completely.

Frost cookies with Glaze and sprinkles 




Glaze

2 cups powdered sugar

4 tsp milk

4 tsp light corn syrup

1/2  tsp vanilla extract

2-3 drops green food coloring

Green sugar sprinkles.

Sift powdered sugar and add the milk, stirring until smooth. 
Beat in corn syrup and vanilla until smooth and glossy. 

If too thick, add more corn syrup. 


Hold cookie in one hand and use a teaspoon full of glaze.
 Use the back of spoon to push glaze over top of cookie. 

Add sprinkles while glaze is still wet.



Place cookies on waxed paper to dry. 

Let dry until glaze is hardened. 

Pack cookies in 9x13 pan separated by layers of waxed paper and covered tightly with lid or plastic wrap. 

Store in refrigerator, or freeze for up to 3 months.



Enjoy! 

erin go bragh!

(Ireland Forever!)
xx

28 comments:

  1. Hello Karen. Exciting St. Patrick cakes you've baked - it's also St. Patrick's day tomorrow on 17.03. - Thanks for the recipe.
    I have a Skt.Patrick figure with a lucky coin I bought in Ireland many years ago (1996) Wish you a good weekend :) Hanne Bente

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to taste one of them and if it could be possible NOW !!!
    Great week end Karen ! Olympia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please send them my way, Karen! They look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Karen! I'm begining to love St.Patrick's day, I didn't know this festivity but I'm knowing it through all the blogs. Thank you for your recipe

    Marina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saw your comment over at Scrappin' Shutterbug's place and wanted to say hi from another Western WA blogger. :)

    Those cookies looks SO yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look absolutely wonderful. I can almost taste them from here- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a wonderful recipe. I can just image your grandmother taking a paper template and cutting them out. Now, we just think about using cookie cutters. Enjoy those wonderful cookies and your flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are too cute! So perfect for this weekend. I'm amazed that you can freeze them for up to 3 months. How awesome is that! You could make these while you're making Christmas cookies and stick them in the freezer til this month haha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the glaze recipe - it's a little different from MawMaw's recipe, so I think I might try that this year to do something new! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look delicious and so wish I had one....Thank you for sharing the receipt and I think it's wonderful that you have your grandmother's receipt....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dearest Karen,
    You always create the best treats. Sure know how to feed LOVE through the stomach!
    Enjoy your St. Patrick's Day weekend!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am now feeling a little guilty for not pulling out the shamrock cookie cutter and making some cookies for this weekend. But none made equals none eaten and that is our ultimate goal. These look wonderful Lassie. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  13. really cute and they look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, they look so good. Wish I had one right now. How great that you have your grandmother's recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love to bake too and these are perfect! I have never tried a glaze on a sugar cookie...it looks scrumptious! We are Irish over here so I will be making a note of these for my beans! Thank you so much for sharing your family recipe with us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have a lovely St Patrick's day Karen. Your cookies look delicious and very stylish too!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  17. They do look good enough to eat.
    Merle......

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those look delicious - I need a cookie and a cup of tea. Your photos are excellent and I love the little mat and the potholders - perfect for St. Patrick's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh yum, I love sugar cookies, especially with frosting. These look delicious...I'll be over shortly, get the coffee on.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness...these are so sweet! I would love to make a batch...thanks for the recipe. You are so sweet to share. xoxo Have a lovely day..I must remember to wear GREEN! xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. They look fabulous! You did a beautiful job with them! I also love the doilies and tablerunner! And thanks for the recipe and directions. This is just the cutest idea ever!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Latha Sona Naomh Phadraig, Karen! Those cookies look amazing. How wonderful to have your grandmother's recipe still, and thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those look yummy!
    I'm really loving that green glass underneath too!

    Hope you're having a wonderful St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I bet those are delicious! So pretty, too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh yum! Can I come over for a cup of tea and cookies :) They look delicious.

    Happy St. Patrick's Day.

    Hugs,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those cookies are completely adorable! Thank you for much for sharing your recipe. I am pinning this! Happy St. Patricks Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Those cookies look -really- good! Thank you for sharing your grandmothers recipe! I think the old fashioned ones are the best.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are important to me and are very much appreciated. xx Karen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...