Friday, March 22, 2013

A Mother's Heart



As a Mom of four, I was always running to keep up with my children. 
This is a rare photo of me with all four. 
The next moment, they were back in motion. 
Like puppies, they never sat still unless they were sleeping. 
Notice the firm grip I have on my son's shoulder. 
And the other hand gripping my younger son's hand.
Holding them in place. 
I must have said, 'Slow Down' a million times!


It was a challenge to keep their unbounded energy in check and pointed in the right direction. 
For my oldest son Gabe, it was Taekwondo. 
Yes, he is breaking a board after jumping over a couple of students,
 and with bare feet, no less. 
A mother had to turn a blind eye to any doubts. 


My younger son, Dustin expended his boundless energy playing baseball. As a pitcher. 
Yes, I sat in those hard bleachers with the cold spring wind blowing against my face and hiding my eyes when that ball came hurtling past my little boy's face. 
Luckily, he was a good pitcher and it didn't happen that often. 
But he did get a black eye once. 

My boy's also had another hobby. 
Four wheel All Terrain Vehicles. 
That they took across the creek and into that vast wilderness I look out upon. 

I tried not to think about it. 

I did insist on full body armor and sturdy helmets.

Dustin getting airborne

Oh, and did I mention the snowboarding habit?



And the skydiving?


They didn't tell me about that until later.

Gabe and Erica

And the para-gliding and the white water rafting and the bungee jumping and ......



The skiing and snowboarding in the back country


And the mountain climbing.



Don't let the innocence of these two little faces fool you!

They also gave a Mother's heart a run for the money.



(And let's not even mention the driving and dating years!)


Here's the oldest, Heather, posing sweetly in her cheerleading uniform.

What you don't see is me covering my face as she is doing multiple back flips after jumping off the top of a pyramid.


And isn't this a sweet little portrait of my youngest daughter, Jennie?

I prayed many a day as I watched her riding off into the sunset on Dusty, the very naughty pony, with her sweet cousin Erin on the other equally naughty pony, Freckles.

Oh, the tales they would tell of getting thrown off, or chased by dogs, or whacked in the face by tree limbs as they galloped along.

Heather, Gabe, Dustin, Jennie

But despite my worries, they all grew up in one piece.


Eric and Heather, Josh and Jennie, Dustin and Jen, Gabe and Erica

But with just as much energy!

Now times two!




Now they've added marathons and charity events to their repertoire.

Here, 2nd from left is my daughter, Jennie and second from right, my niece, Erin getting ready to participate in the Hot Chocolate charity run in Seattle for the Ronald McDonald house.



A little hot chocolate and fruit to jump start the day!


And here are all four getting ready for the Tough Mudder charity event for The Wounded Warriors.

(the girls are there for moral support)



Here's the contestants, Eric, Dustin and Gabe.

This was a grueling endurance event that raised money for our disabled veterans.

Eric is a proud former Marine and current National Guard soldier who works for the Veteran's Administration.



Not for sissies!


The cheering section

Dustin, Jen, Heather, Eric, Gabe, and two of Dustin's co-workers

Here they are posing in an earlier charity run for homeless shelters.




And here's my oldest daughter, Heather participating in a charity event to raise money for a cross fit team member who suffered a tragedy.

Heather suffers from adult onset Cystic Fibrosis.

But this does not slow my little dynamo down one bit.

In fact, exercise is the best remedy.

Jen, Dustin, and Heather at cross fit charity event


She's determined to live life to the fullest.



So even though my children are adults and I don't have to chase after them any longer,
A mother's heart is always following along.
With love, and yes, I do still worry.

But there is comfort in knowing that your children's hearts are in the right place.
Caring for the world in which they live,
and proving that with loving action.

I guess I can stop worrying.

*A little bit*
xoxo


52 comments:

  1. just beautiful, active kids and adults. wonderful family, karen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. Great children indeed that turned into fine adults. My two adult children are both people lovers and good workers, love the Lord with all their hearts. Enjoying son's children, they are dear to my heaet along with their sweet mama. What more could I ask for? If we didn't worry and pray over our children, then there would be a heart issue for sure. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, You do understand a Mother's heart, Becky! We worry and hope and pray and feel so blessed. Thank you for sharing today and thank you for your sweetness! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Karen...your kids are beautiful!!! I love to learn from moms that have been there and done that...so thank you for sharing!!! How wonderful that they all give back...so super cool! Watching your sons do all of those things makes me think of my son when he jumps off the stairs...I guess it only gets worse?!?!?! But like you did...channeling their energy is the way to go. How blessed you are to have such an amazing crew!!! Good job on putting good peeps out in to this world!!!! You are going to have so much fun one day being a gram!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sweet, Nicole and I am so glad that I can help a young Mother see the light at the end of the tunnel! I am laughing right now over picturing your son jumping off the stairs - you know what that leads to! He has a good Mom to guide his way, so no worries! Thank you for your kind words and yes, I am looking forward to that magical day when a little one calls me 'Gram'! xoxo

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful post, Karen. Your children are beautiful and so full of life. I don't think a Mother ever stops worrying about their children...and it's nice to know they all have found their partners in life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right, Deanna, a Mother never does stop worrying and thank you for your lovely comments. I am so happy they have found true love in their lives, too. xoxo

      Delete
  5. My dear Karen, your children are lovely, inside and out :) Thank you for sharing the stories and pictures. I have only one son and he makes my heart beat faster - I couldn't imagine 3 more children! Your children have a wonderful and beautiful mother. :)

    Hugs and blessings,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet Stephanie for your kind words! You are a Dear, and your son is the lucky one! Blessings to you!

      Hugs, Karen xoxo

      Delete
  6. Oh Mom, this is so sweet (tears in my eyes). All that we are and all that we do is a direct result of our wonderful childhood and the endless love and example that you and Dad set for us. Jennie, Gabe, Dustin, Eric, Josh, Erica and Jen are the best gifts that I could ever have and they are all from you. I could never find the words to thank you for making me who I am. I love you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweetheart, you and your brother's and sister are my reason. I love you more than you know! xoxo

      Delete
  7. Oh Beatrice I had a comment all thought out in my head and then I read your daughter Heather's comment above, I have tears in my eyes as I think of my girls and them saying the same thing to me. This is what Motherhood is all about a job well done and seeing that all that worrying was for not.
    You have done a fantastic job and you should be very proud.
    Your children are very lucky to have a Mom that cared so much about them that let them fly high on their own and find there way to being loving caring adults that make this world a better place for all..WELL DONE MOM Hug B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Buttons, Oh, that is so sweet, I know your girls hold you precious in their hearts, just as you do to your own Dear Mother. Thank you for your very kind comments - we all know, as Mothers how important our job is, sometimes not finding out until all is said and done. Hugs to you! xoxo

      Delete
  8. Oh Beatrice I know you did not do this alone your children's Father is obviously a important part of all this I did not mean to leave him out. Two parents who love their children that much are to be commended.Your children are truly blessed and so are the two of you. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, again, Buttons, yes, we were a team and a Father's presence in the life of a child is so important. We were blessed. xoxo

      Delete
  9. Dearest Karen,
    You can be mighty proud of such healthy, active and above all; caring kids! Heather is to be admired with her health condition for still going all the way in giving.
    Hugs to you,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mariette, we are very grateful to have them in our lives. xoxo

      Delete
  10. What a lovely family - and so active. It was nice to "meet" them all. Loved the photos of them when they were kids too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you got to 'meet' them, JoAnn! Thanks for being sweet! xoxo

      Delete
  11. Thank you, Loredana! A sweet thing to say, but I can't take full credit, because as they say, 'It takes a village' and I had lots of inspiration and help along the way and just feel so blessed. Hugs, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post Karen - thank you for sharing it with us.
    There is a saying that says:
    Mothers hold their children's hand for a while, but in their hearts FOREVER!
    My "old" mother of soon 89 years (still going strong) think / worry about me - I think / worry about my children, the oldest being 49 years to November .....
    MOTHER LOVE ♥
    Wishing you and your a good weekend :) Hugs Hanne Bente

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I do love hearing about your Mom - still worrying, yes, we are just made that way, aren't we? Can't be helped! Thank you for sharing, I always love your visits. Hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  13. Karen, What a beautiful beautiful family. I can tell they make your heart beat proud to call them yours. I love how you love the and it comes thru in every word- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Love, very much - so glad you stopped by and Thank you. xoxo

      Delete
  14. Just wonderful, thanks so much for sharing your family with us. As always your words are so eloquent. It is a an amazing tribute to you and your children. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What beautiful kids you have, and so outgoing and energetic! My three boys were not very athletic minded, so no worries that way. But for some reasons they are all into bicycling now, some long distance, and that can be a little worry:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cindy - Yes, bicycling can put a Mother's heart into overdrive! But a wonderful way to keep fit!

      xoxo

      Delete
  16. What a beautiful, active family you have! My four daughters were not anywhere near that active. I did worry about the 2 who were at the top of the pyramid in cheerleading.
    What a sweet comment from your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barb - but with four daughters, I bet you were the active one keeping track of them all!

      Hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  17. Wow Karen! I have no words, What a wonderful feeling! when I can see a family like yours, everybody is ok, all of them look healthy people. I think you must feel very quite and proud. I'm really very happy because a family that lives very far from me is so well and is so happy. Congratulations from the other side of the world

    Marina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marina, for your very nice and caring thoughts. xoxo

      Delete
  18. Oh my, the worries - but also the wonderful times! Your family is so beautiful and fun. It must have been hectic while they were growing up, but what a great job you've done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we do worry as Mother's don't we? And yes, very hectic. I should have written that I am glad that I came out in one piece! haha! But I am very happy they did. Thank you, you are sweet. xoxo

      Delete
  19. This put a lump in my throat! Not only did you get them "safely grown" you can be so proud of them as adults! What mother could ask for more! You have a beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marie, and as you know as a Mother, it does take many influences to get children raised and I am just grateful they are in my life and happy. xoxo

      Delete
  20. Oh my gosh, girl, I can't believe what they put you through! What active, amazing people they all are. And so kind too, with their commitment to causes. A nice looking group too! Love that walking portrait of them. I didn't realize you could get adult-onset Cystic Fibrosis. I hope Heather is well and happy. Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jo - They gifted me with that portrait at Christmas. My favorite kind of gift. We didn't know either, she suffered from what we thought was 'Asthma' and recently she had further tests with gene testing and that is when we found out. She is a happy and positive person and we just pray every day for her. Thank you for your caring thoughts. xoxo

      Delete
  21. What a beautiful family, Karen...you are truly blessed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda, you are sweet. We appreciate having them in our lives every day. xoxo

      Delete
  22. Your family is wonderful Karen and you should be very proud,thank you for sharing the stories !!!Hugs. Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  23. You done good, Karen - not only are they close with each other and happy, but they contribute to the world. That's what mother's hope for - and you did it! <3

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am truly blessed and thankful every day that they love each other and are good citizens. Thank you, Stacy. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your children are amazing! I loved seeing the earlier photos as well, and as you say your firm grip on the boys. It's great that they're all so sporty, and that they use their enthusiasms to help other people. And such a blessing that all four of them have found love. Our family isn't very sporty and I think our best hope for a fundraiser is a sponsored silence!! (Though to be fair my daughter has raised money for charity by selling bookmarks and by abstaining from sugar for a month.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christine for your sweet thoughts! I love that your darling daughter has raised money for charities in her own special way. To be fair, my children belong to groups that encourage these sorts of charity events and that helps get them motivated.

      I do consider that I now have 8 children, as their partners are loved very much by my husband and I. Oh Dear, now I realized I have 8 to worry about. It never ends, a Mother's worries, does it? I know you can relate. Thank you for your sweet visit, Christine. xoxo

      Delete
  26. You have the most beautiful kids! Wowza. I love all the photos. They seem like such daredevils. I can't imagine how many times you must have been worried about them growing up haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Aaaw! Thanks, Tammy! So sweet! Yes, they have always been daredevils. I do have gray hair under this 'Miss Clairol'! ha ha!

      Delete
  27. A beautiful post of your lovely children!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are important to me and are very much appreciated. xx Karen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...