Thursday, July 12, 2012

Summer Morning


My strawberries are finally ripe after our very cool spring.
To celebrate, I decided to bake some Strawberry Scones. (See recipe under 'baking')

No matter that I am all by myself for the next few days while my Ramblin' Man is away at a charity golf tournament representing the company he works for.
The charity is for Women's Shelters.
Love that.

So while he is gone, why not bake something just for myself?


Mmmmm! Hot out of the oven. I replaced half the white flour with wheat this time. They were still light and fluffy. I have only a small amount of strawberries, and these scones are the perfect treat for a few special berries.

I will save out two for myself and freeze the rest for Ramblin' Man.


I am enjoying these warm summer mornings.

I have some time to browse through some favorite books.


And find some precious keepsakes from another long ago summer morning.


 Pressed while in the very place depicted, on a stroll with a precious sister- in- law who lives so far, but always close to our hearts.

A book of poetry by Robert Frost.

I bought it there, in a tiny shop hidden away.

A precious memento of our time together.

The best kind of souvenir.


Another vintage favorite - illustrated by Kate Greenaway.


Blue Violets - Faithfulness


The very definition of these guys.
Every morning we take our long walk up the winding driveway to get the newspaper.

With plenty of play time on the way.


Who can say No to such happy faces?


We can see the horses that live next door when we get to the end. You can still see storm debris piled high in the center of their pasture. We will be cleaning up from that ice storm for several years yet.
But for now it is mostly hidden among the lush summer landscape.

On the way I sample some native Red Huckleberries. Very tart! You will always find these growing in decaying tree stumps. They thrive in the acidity. These are very long-lived plants. Some have been here since we first came, over 30 years ago. They are lovely as can be with their tiny bright green leaves and red berries. Of course, the birds love them.

I stop on the way back to water my wildflower gardens.

Sweet William, Bird's Foot Trefoil, Buttercup, and Tansy not yet blooming.
Sweet William - Gallantry
I will leave you with one of my favorite poems.

Flower-Gathering
by Robert Frost
I left you in the morning,
And in the morning glow,
You walked a way beside me
To make me sad to go.
Do you know me in the gloaming,
Gaunt and dusty gray with roaming?
Are you dumb because you know me not,
or dumb because you know?
All for me? And not a question
For the faded flowers gay
That could take me from beside you
For the ages of a day?
They are yours, and be the measure
of their worth for you to treasure,
The measure of the little while
That I've been long away.

5 comments:

  1. Dearest Karen,

    You have some perfect looking fraises des bois! They have a lot more flavor than the larger varieties. Your baking looks yummy. Enjoy your summer days and the poem goes so well with the abundance of flowers.
    Love to you,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the risk of repeating myself, what a beautiful post! Your strawberry scones look so yummy, and your reading equally so. I like Robert Frost's poetry very much too.

    Champ has a fantastic smile. He looks as if he's already completely settled in, and Whitey looks very happy to have a new companion.

    Good for your husband to raise money for women who don't have a peaceful home to go to. Enjoy the summertime in your lovely woodland home, Karen. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your scones look so good and the time alone sounds GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you're back, Karen - I missed you! How is Whitey doing with his new friend? Thanks for taking us on your walk with you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, all my dear friends for stopping by and visiting me and leaving such nice comments xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are important to me and are very much appreciated. xx Karen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...