Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Flower Jars, Painted Pots, and Roses, Roses, Roses


We have had very cool and damp
weather lately, so I have been inside
more than I like. 

To brighten things up, I have created
some sweet Flower Jars
from things I had on hand. 


I saw this idea in the latest issue of 'Romantic Homes'
magazine. 

I copied and cut some vintage labels from a 

I have several of these books - all copyright free! 


Simply layer over a small round paper doily
and tie in place with garden twine. 


The middle jar is a balsamic vinegar jar :) 


The flowers came from my potted Narcissus
on the deck. I planted these last Autumn. 

They are wonderfully fragrant. 

We had some strong rain which toppled some of 
the blooms, so I brought them inside
and made the Flower Jars to display them. 

My salad garden in the tubs is starting to sprout :) 


Just one of these little beauties can scent 
a whole room! 


I ordered these from 
www.vanengelen.com 

This is a company that sells Dutch flower bulbs. 
I have been very pleased with everything I have ordered. 

The catalog is filled with the most wonderful varieties, 
some very rare, with excellent descriptions
and growing requirements. 
It is illustrated with beautiful pen and ink
illustrations. 


These were 'The Fragrant Narcissus Mixture'. 

I wasn't sure what I was going to get, but 
it has been a lovely surprise to see all of the different 
varieties that bloomed over several weeks. 


I planted most of them in the front garden, 
and they filled the air with their beautiful fragrance. 

I ordered 100 of them and had some leftover for the pots
which I planted 3 weeks later. 


I also ordered Camassia bulbs, which you can see are in
full bloom now. These were planted alongside the Narcissus, 
which are done blooming. 


This Camassia is a pale, lavender blue. 
They are almost fully opened here. 
You can see the dried flower heads of the Narcissus
which I need to trim :) 

Camassia comes in many shades of blue and white
and I will plant more of these beauties this Autumn. 

They are tall and require moist conditions. 
Their native habitat is damp mountain meadows. 


I painted some clay pots
to give away as gifts on Mother's Day. 

I used exterior latex, inside and out. 

Do you like my new, tiny potting bench? 
It is the perfect size for my deck
where I do all of my potting. 

No more messing up my deck table! 


I planted Begonia in lovely coral shades. 


I added pale green and white, Creeping Charlie
to spill over the edges, but forgot to take a photo. 


This tiny garden spider takes a drink from 
a water droplet. 


In other gardening news, my roses are blooming! 

This Rugosa Rose has a very strong and lovely fragrance. 

Every time she blooms, we must visit her daily to 
experience her classic rose scent. 


She and her sisters grow in the bramble hedge 
between the back lawn and the house. 

Here I grow highly fragrant Sweet Box, Viburnum, 
(which are done blooming), with tall 
'Fireweed', also known as Rose Bay Willow Herb. 
These have lovely purple blooms in mid-summer. 

Foxglove (just seeded), Forget Me Not, Buttercup, Purple Vetch, 
Birds Foot Trefoil, and Yellow Archangel, 
bloom at their feet. 

I also have a wire trained Evergreen Blackberry
along one side, too! I get delicious berries every fall. 


You can see the sloping land. We have very few level places
as we are on the South side of a little mountain. 

The house sits behind an old cedar grove in front
 and is half hidden from view.
We did not log our land and prefer
living in the native woodlands. 

We use ground cover and mowing to keep things 'civilized'. 

A Big Leaf Maple provides welcome shade in summer, 
as this is the 'hot' side of the house. 


Directly below the deck I have herbs in whiskey barrels. 
Here Chive blooms. 

The Archangel needs frequent trimming, 
but it looks lovely growing around the barrels
and keeps the ground weed free. 


A 20 foot strip of lawn separates the bramble hedge
from the deck, although it looks like 
it is growing right against it! 

Some succulents are enjoying the sunshine along the deck rail. 


This is the view of the roses from the deck. 
You can see the Snowball hedge in the background. 


The first roses along the arbor are blooming, too! 


'Joseph's Coat' with her multi-colored blossoms
and delicate, citrus scent. 


This is a very special rose. A white, scented Rugosa. 

This garden is my Mother and Father's Commemorative
Garden and this rose was planted in honor of them. 

I planted it for my Mother, originally,
but it bloomed for the very first time
on the day my Father died. 

Now, this year, it has bloomed for the very first time
on the day my first Grandchild was born. 

A message from the Angels ? 


Thank you, Dear Friends for your sweet visits
and
Thank you for your lovely congratulations
on our new little Grandson. 

I will share his name here - Ethan Gabriel. 

Do you think the Angels approve? :) 

xoxo

I have more exciting news - my daughter bought 
her very own tiny dream cottage! 
(Under 800 sq. ft.)


Here she is on a recent visit. 

You can see how happy Weenie Baby is
to be with her! 



This means that my two little house-guests, 
Weenie Baby and Peanut (gnawing on a treat), 
will be joining her soon in their very own home! 

First there is the painting to be done inside, 
(I am helping her in the evenings), 
and then the moving - this weekend. 

Once the floors are re-done and the back fence
deemed secure at their new home, 
my two little pup-guests will be leaving :( 



I will then be looking for a companion for Whitey Bear, 
since losing Champ in January. 

Although nothing much happens around here
most of the time,
when it does, 
it all seems to be at once! 

So bear with me, Dear Friends. 
I will need to catch up on visiting you
as soon as I can. 

In the meantime, here is something 
I will strive to do....

"The greatest gift you can give another
is the purity of your attention."
-Richard Moss-

xoxo 

I receive no compensation from any product or
company that is mentioned in my blog.
My blog is strictly a labor of love. <3
xo
Linking with:
Rooted in Thyme - Simple and Sweet Fridays

Rooted In Thyme

39 comments:

  1. aw, congrats to your daughter! and to peanut and weenie-baby, too! although they'll probably miss your lovely yard and their 'uncle' whiteybear. :) you have such pretty blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can almost smell the flowers.
    Merle........

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your gardens are like a bit of heaven on earth! They are just gorgeous and you can tell you have put lots of work into making them beautiful.
    So happy that you have such a sweet little baby Ethan Gabriel is just perfect. I do think Heaven would approve. We have an Ethan, too- the name means strong and enduring...and coupled with Gabriel (which in the bible also stands for strength (I think)...well, he will be one strong little lad.
    Blessings to all of you- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi dear friend a !!! Que bonito jardín !! Tantas flores bellas florecen en primavera a,, que tenga un lindo día

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a neat idea with the jars! Turned out really nice and all your photos are just lovely!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your jars are just so awesome Karen! They are pretty and vintage and I love them! Same goes for all of your amazing blooms on your patio! And your potting bench is fantastic!!! I think that it is a message from above with your roses blooming on the day your little grandson was born!! Your garden looks beautiful! All of your blooms and layers of lushness are such a feast for the eyes! And please tell your daughter congrats!!! Would you believe me as I type this that I am watching tiny cottages on HGTV! I think that is awesome and she is so lucky to have you help her settle in! Wishing you all good things in the upcoming weeks and I hope you get to see the baby again soon! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dearest Karen,
    What a lovely post and you know that I admire your beautiful roof! Looks so special and all the flowers blooming on your deck and in the garden; a little paradise.
    We too love to live in nature and not in an artificial looking flat place with a huge lawn.
    Sending you hugs and congrats with your daughter's new dream cottage!
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely jars, what a great idea!!
    Thanks for sharing
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your new grandson! How sweet that the rose bloomed on the day he was born ... I do believe it was a message from above ;) You have such a beautiful garden, and I love rambling around as you show us your favourite blooms. How wonderful that your daughter has found her new home, and that you are able to make it 'home' for her. Poor Whitey for losing his pals, but hopefully he's feeling better, and their company was the best thing for him. I hope you find just the right dog to keep him company again. Enjoy your day Karen!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on your new grandson and your daughter's new house. These puppies are so sweet, want to pet them :)
    Your garden is so beautiful, you have amazing flowers.

    Carpet cleaning Ealing

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on the birth of your grandson. How exciting! Your garden is lovely. I ordered a catalog from the bulb company. Can't wait to get it and look through it. Thank you for sharing the website. Have a great day, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely post! Ethan Gabriel is a very nice name for your sweet little grandson.

    Congrats on your daughter buying her sweet little cottage. I hope we will be able to see some photos of it. Hint, hint!

    You have so many beautiful flowers, ones I've never heard of before and ones that most definitely wouldn't grow down here in our tropical climate.

    Enjoy all of that beauty around you ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  13. Karen, I'm so happy to hear that your daughter bought her own little cottage. And I smiled when I heard it's a smaller home. Through the years we've had huge homes, until recently we bought a new little cottage that is very small and very cozy. We love it, and on the weekends, me and husband can just get up and go because it's so easy to clean. Please let me know in time how your daughter is doing in her small cottage. It seems that everything has its place in a smaller home, and everything is easier to get to.

    The begonias are so pretty, and what a lovely color. I had forgotten about this flower and how much I liked it.

    Your flower jars are lovely, and we sure can get lots of inspiration from our favorite magazines, can't we? And even wonderful friend's blogs, like yours. :~)

    love, ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Karen - you have been busy among the blooms!! It all looks so lovely though. I absolutely love your new planting table and those Mom's day begonias and how you painted the pots.

    Your roses are beautiful! I have always heart they're difficult and a tricky shrub to care for- do you have some expert opinion on the matter? I've never tackled roses yet.

    I love love love the jars you did - so romantic and pretty!

    And when you talked about your flower blooming when your Dad passed and now when your grandson was born I got absolute goose bumps! Definitely a message from the angels. I love Ethan's name too. Just lovely!! :)

    Congrats to your daughter on her new place. Yay! But I bet it'll be lonely losing your 2 buddies. Hopefully you can find the right friend for Whitey Bear in the future.

    Thanks for such a lovely post. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your yard is a bloom with all those lovely colors and I can imagine sweet fragrances. I like your new little work bench, it looks right at home in that spot. Have a wonderful Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on your new grandson, How lovely and natural your garden looks. But i know how much hard work has to be done to keep it tidy and not an overgrown mess, as a few weeks of neglect can make it look unruly. Love your new potting bench. with your painted pots of Begonias. our weather is very changeable at the moment too. so some of the flowers are lot slower than normal.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your garden is absolutely lovely and makes me so jealous! But at least I can enjoy your pictures! I hope you'll show pictures of your daughter's cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on the recent edition to the family. What a delightful garden you have and the view is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, I hope your daughter will just love the move. She'll have good company. Your potting bench is cute, and I like the painted pots. Cool and rainy is not my favorite weather, but you sure made good use of your indoor time. Love those begonias!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your arbor! I have always owned a Josephs coat rose but am now seeking one for my new home. You have such a lovely garden!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Karen,

    How beautiful all your pretty Spring flowers are - it is a grey and overcast day here so great to see some colour and brightness.
    Hope your daughter enjoys the new home - love the photos with the sweet dogs.
    Enjoy the week
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my, that hedge is like a fairy tale! So, so beautiful. As is the rest of your garden. I must have missed those jars in the magazine. I just love them! So simple and sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your garden is just beautiful, that is my husbands dream to have land like that. Such Beautiful flowers you have all over. Your jar project is just lovely, I too have some Dover books. Congrats to your daughter for finding a cottage, always fun to have your own home

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your patio and garden looks lovely Karen! All those flowers!!! So pretty! I like your jam jars too.

    A beautiful photo of your daughter. Congratulations on her new home!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  25. A gratidão é a memória do coração!
    Obrigada querida, pela sua amizade carinhosa, fico feliz
    em saber que em algum lugar desse mundo você existe, e
    agradeço a Deus pela sua atenção sempre presente e amável!
    PARABÉNS A TODA FAMÍLIA PELO LINDO BEBÊ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Um grande abraço, Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Another happy and beautiful post. I love your garden! Especially the roses. How very interesting about the timing of their flowering... You make it all seem so effortless and natural but it must certainly be a lot of work. And such good news about Jennie's little cottage. She looks like a princess in that photo!

    ReplyDelete
  27. All your outdoor area is so pretty, Karen! I especially loved the part about the visiting angel...so sweet! How wonderful for your daughter in purchasing her own cottage. I look forward to seeing the results of your labor. Happy Memorial Day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I always marvel at the loveliness of your gardens, Karen! The narcissus are so beautiful. I loved your telling of the special white rose, Congrats to your daughter...she will enjoy having her pups back with her!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Loving all of the color in your flower pots, and think it is so exciting that your daughter has gotten her on 'dream cottage", but know you will be missing those little dogs you have been taking care of. Love your idea on those little flower vases. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations dear
    Beautiful garden
    Dazzlingzest.blogspot.com
    Follow each other
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a handsome name for your grandchild. Your garden looks beautiful as well as the bins on the deck. That's very exciting news for your daughter. xoxo Su

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful and lovely photos indeed. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your garden and beautiful flowers are always a treat. Congratulations to your daughter on the purchase of her new cozy cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  34. So beautiful with all lovely flowers at your place...its always with happiness I take a look at your blog! Have a great week...
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
  35. Dear Karen, I love, love, love all your narcissus in- and outdoors. They are so cheerful flowers and that some have great fragrance is another bonus. I think that you have been mixing different varieties in the flower beds is great, makes for a far more interesting display, than having planted just one variety. I intend to get some narcissus planted this autumn in my garden as well. They are supposed to be able to cope with our hot climate and come back every year, whereas sadly tulips are not. I will check out the company that you got yours from, as they seem to have a great selection.
    I am also really delighted to see that you have rugosa roses flowering in your garden, I think the purple one is very beautiful, but the purity of the white one seems to be even more special. I remember their fragrance very vividly, even though I am not able to grow them in my climate.
    Wishing you lovely rest of the week!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow Karen I love the pretty flower vases and your gardens are just gorgeous! Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful weekend.
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
  37. The doilies/prints/twine is just adorable! I pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  38. You are right...so busy!!! Well, I love your pretty flower jars! The narcissus, begonias, roses and other flowers are all so beautiful! My favorite shots were the roses on that pretty trellis! So, your daughter has a new one of the tiny homes you see on TV! I hope she will be happy there. We had to live (my hubby, daughter & I) in a 650 square foot bachelor cottage once, on a historic property, for a time after our bigger rental home had a fire, and my hubby lost his job. It was on the most amazingly beautiful spot on the water, covered in dogwoods and azaleas. The historic main house was something out of a dream, and the little house was charming....but not for three people to live in! I hated it. The inside had been gutted and remodeled in the 70s, so it wasn't like I was getting to enjoy its historic qualities anyway when inside. It was just CRAMPED! I hated it so much I swore I would never live in a tiny space again. I spent a lot of time out under the trees down by the water, because the lot itself was such a joy, and relieved my claustrophobia. But, if your daughter will be on her own, then perhaps she will love her small home. I do hope so. Everyone has their own sense of space, and apparently a lot of people are downsizing and opting to "go small"...frankly this 1700 square foot house my hubby & I are in now is too small for me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love your decorative jars Beatrice! And your home is just set in the loveliest location! Thank you for allowing me to share a picture of it on our blog. The post went up today. Have a lovely weekend in your winter wonderland... This post has me dreaming of spring :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are important to me and are very much appreciated. xx Karen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...