Thursday, November 3, 2011

Bedroom Decorating for Fall


Now that fall is here, I thought I would cozy up the bedroom with warm Autumn colors.


Gone are the cool blues and greens and white lace curtains. (See Archives-July 2011-Bedroom Decorating). I've replaced those with warm buttery golden hues with russet accents. This adds instant warmth and a cozy vintage feeling when the temperature starts to drop outside.

I've replaced the Shabby Chic area rug with an Oriental style in warm russet tones.


I've  also replaced the blue and green Laura Ashley slipcover on the little chair, with a damask that I bought from Pottery Barn a couple of years ago. The color is 'Maize', a light golden yellow. Pottery Barn has excellent sales at the end of every season, especially on-line.  For the pillow on the chair, I chose a vintage pillow slip in yellow and russet roses to cover a feather pillow insert, also from Pottery Barn. They have an excellent selection of pillows and inserts. There is nothing cozier than a feather pillow.


I gathered the bed linens here and there, everything very inexpensively. The hand knitted wool throw was found at a local church sale, along with the beautifully embroidered pillow cover. I used another feather pillow insert inside and it is soft and squishy for lazy afternoons when I want to just read in bed without messing up the covers. The duvet cover is raw silk that I found at a linen store on clearance. The tag says to dry clean it, but I just throw it in the washer and dryer with no ill effects. I used a down comforter inside.


I replaced the blue and white vanity accessories with gold, bronze and jewel tones. The little lamp is a candle lamp and I hang my earrings from the scrolled wire edge.


A vintage mirrored tray with pretty filigree edging holds my collection of round pill boxes and a pretty ceramic covered dish, all for jewelry and tiny trinkets.


All lovely gifts from my sweet daughters.


Keeping with the vintage theme, Hubby's desk has a vintage style phone and desk lamp. This phone is the only one that works in a power outage, as the rest are cordless and require electricity. Before I found a cell phone company that would work here in the foothills, it was my only line out during the many outages we have due to high winds in the winter months.


Golden hued sheer drapes capture the morning sun when drawn, and fill the room with warmth.

It is very easy and inexpensive to give your bedroom a little update, just by changing out the linens and curtains and replacing an area rug with colors of the season. All of these can be gathered over time and set aside with an eye for the future. Clearance, garage and church sales, along with vintage and discount stores are a gold mine of possibilities. Store your treasures until such a time as you have everything assembled to create a new decor. Not only will you be kind on your wallet, but the hunt for treasures is exciting and fun. The worth is in the wait.

Happy Treasure Hunting!

3 comments:

  1. I love that you re-decorate according to seasons. Such a good idea. Very elegant and lovely Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Karen,
    Interesting and I did spot the thinking Raphael Angel on the little box...
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are important to me and are very much appreciated. xx Karen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...