Friday, March 11, 2022

Erin go Bragh - Ireland Forever!

 


Hello, Dear Friends! 

I hope you are being kind to yourselves 

as we look forward to spring in just a few more days. 

I've always admired the pluck of the Irish, 

and being part Irish myself, I thought 

I would try to add some cheer to a gloomy world

by sharing the wit and wisdom of Irish proverbs

along with some lovely vintage cards.

Enjoy! 



Every eye forms its own fancy. 



He who loses money, loses much; he who loses

a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all. 



Better to be fortunate than rich. 



A good retreat is better than a bad stand.


The work praises the man. 


Continual cheerfulness is a sign of wisdom.


The light heart lives long. 


Bricks and mortar make a house, but the laughter
of children make a home. 


Slow is every foot on an unknown path. 


A friend's eye is a good mirror. 


He is bad that will not take advice, but he is a thousand
times worse that takes every advice. 


Everything is revealed by time. 


People live in each other's shelter. 


Good sense is as important as good food. 


Not every flatterer is a friend. 


Better to be a man of character than a man of means. 


Say a little and say it well. 


Who gossips with you will gossip of you. 


Always remember that hindsight is the best insight to foresight. 


The friend that can be bought is not worth buying. 


Hope is the physician of each misery. 


Character is better than wealth. 


The seekin' for one thing will find another. 


Need teaches a plan. 


May the enemies of Ireland never meet a friend. 




xoxo


















































11 comments:

  1. Such a lovely post.
    Wishing you a Happy St. Patricks Day for the 17th of March.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great collection of cards, perfect for St Patrick's Day! Have a great weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many beautiful old cards! Lovely!
    Hug from Titti

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful sayings there and terrific cards.
    I like the one that says may an enemy not meet any friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, those Irish people have such wise proverbs, and how wonderful to be part Irish, Karen. All my kids are part Irish on their father's side, so I pretend I am too every year. But I only have a couple things and don't decorate much. I loved these sayings, and the vintage cards really add a special touch, don't they? That vintage green tea pot is so delightful, and the vintage woman is so pretty. There's nothing worse than gossip, and the older I get, the less I can tolerate it. The Faith saying is beautiful, and so true. And that little gnome just made me smile. My sister first introduced me to the vintage cards years ago, and ever since then, I have appreciated them so much. Celebrate your Irish roots, Karen, and it truly is a wonderful heritage. Its color green is lovely, and I noticed all the green in your cupboard on the Header this morning. I look forward to seeing it if you share sometime. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  6. What darling cards, and wonderful words of Irish wisdom. Happy St. Patrick’s Day, Karen! 💚☘️💚

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Karen! I love all things Irish. Lots of great sayings, and the Irish have produced a lot of wonderful writers too. James Joyce "Dubliners" is a favorite, and the living novelist John Banville. "The Sea" in particular. A wonderful way with language. We have a nice Irish pub we like to visit on St. Patrick's Day. Happy St. Pat's and the coming spring days!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy St Patrick's Week to you Karen. It was so fun looking at that amazing and adorable collection. I loved them all, but the little girl with the big dog truly stole my heart! Really liked the quotes you chose as well and I'm saving at least a couple of them in a file I keep of favorites. Which means I might steal one sometime for use in my blog, but in the meantime I will read them every once in a while and they will make me happy all over again! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is wonderful, Karen! Such fun. Two days to go until St Patrick's Day, hope you have a great one.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karen, a great post. I have the Irish in me from my grandmother's side of the family. I love all the beautiful and sweet cards and the sayings. I heard that the Irish people have 500 Ukraine refugees in their homes. I thought that was wonderful..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are important to me and are very much appreciated. xx Karen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...