Saturday, February 26, 2022

Waiting

 


Hello, Dear Friends, I hope that you are keeping the faith 

as this tumultuous world swirls all around us. 

I have been in a state of suspended animation 

as I wait for spring, 

while war and rumors of war keep me awake at night.


Life is so precious, and we must be grateful for every single day
and the freedoms we so easily take for granted. 

I can't begin to understand mankind's 
inhumanity, but I do know that 
there are much greater forces
that transcend the cruelties of this world. 

Paul the Apostle in 1 Corinthians 13:
"So faith, hope, love remain, 
These three, but the greatest of these is love." 

xx


Speaking of love...
I am very fortunate in that regard at this point in my life. 
xx

My little grandsons created the bookmark with
thumbprint hearts.


I also received a sweet pipe-cleaner bracelet with beads, 
and pink cookies and treats. 
xoxo

Roses, card and chocolates were from my Dearest.  


He also surprised me with this very retro-style
radio/CD player and a whole set of 
60's love songs.
xx
Doowop, Doowop! 


Now I can listen to music while in the kitchen!
Our song, 'My Girl', by The Temptations is 
one of them. 
xx


The dogs look out on a very cold day. 



I am pet sitting for my daughter's dog, 'Lovey'. 



Isn't she cute? She has made herself at home 
and is quite bossy. 




Kai loves her to pieces. 
They sleep together, bark at nothing together, 
and race around chasing each other,  
stealing toys and bones. 
They've been a good distraction to some of the
vicarious trauma I am feeling right now 
due to world events.  
They are pure innocence and love.
Well, maybe not completely innocent :) 


The hutch across from the daybed. 


I found this twiggy wreath when I was at the craft store
the other day. 


The colors in the wreath and this sweet painting 
complement each other. 

My grandson, Ethan's painting of a tree fort

that he wants his grandpa to build. 

xx 

I've been feeling like I need warm, happy colors 

around me these days. 

Little Lovey likes to park herself on the daybed

and mess up the cover :)

You can see the pet door. We had to put a paver brick

in front of it on both sides so she could jump in and out. 

That's the trouble with having short little legs. 

I should know :) I am 5' 3" in heels. 

I found an old advertisement in a magazine 

with a sweet graphic to match the colors in 

my poppy painting. 



Another cute graphic that complements my tea towel collection.
I love the 'Birdie' cereal. 

Grandson, Gavin's drawing of the house 

(floating away, attached to balloons), in the movie, 'Up'. 

He has included the old man and the little dog, too. 

xx

Both of the grandboy's artworks were sweetly mailed to us. 

The hallway off the kitchen, with the library on the right.

(View from the laundry room)

Ramblin' Man has redone the little powder room here. 


 He repainted, (Dutch Boy, 'Peace')

replaced the plumbing fixtures, 

(Toilet and sink)

and hung a glass shelf over the sink.

xx 

Vintage photos of our little town at the end of the hallway. 


My own artwork in the making. 



I am making some progress. 
It's going very slowly, but I work on it 
a little every day. 
It's like painting a 1000-piece jig-saw puzzle! 


I have been using my lighted magnifying lamp that 
I usually use for sewing and embroidery. 
It really helps! 


I've been doing a lot of baking. Old favorites 
like banana bread, apple crisp, and here, oatmeal-raisin cookies. 


I love the graphics on these ingredients. 
Advertising art is a favorite of mine, as you can tell. 


Pretty little helpers. 


Love, laugh and lick the spoon. 


I baked these for the Mr. They are his favorite. 


My baking sheet magnet board that  
I keep on the front of my white refrigerator. 


A little note he left me before leaving for work,
years ago. I keep it with my recipe. 
He sometimes left early in the morning before 
I was awake. I would pack his lunch the night before. 
He worked long hours as a Regional Sales and Distribution Manager
for a local potato chip and salty snacks company. 
He oversaw 9 managers, and nearly 200 distributors 
in seven states after rising up through the ranks,
beginning as a distribution driver. 
He traveled a lot, hence the nickname, 
"Ramblin' Man".
I enjoy having him home finally, now that he is retired. 
He still 'rambles', but now in a different way. 
He loves to 'ramble on' about things. 
And I love to listen. 

xoxo


Broccoli cheese soup and home-made bread. 

I've been making lots of soups lately, too. 

Chicken-rice, minestrone, beef stew. 

Just plain and simple comfort food. 



I've also restarted work on the crochet sweater 
that I started last year. I just have one sleeve and 
the yolk to finish. 


The beautiful canvas and leather bag that 
my son and wife gave me for Mother's Day last year. 
xx

All of these little projects help me to manage my anxiety
when the world seems so out of control. 
I wish that I could talk to my grandparents and great-grandparents
who went through so many difficulties and who survived
World Wars, the Spanish Flu of 1918, The Great Depression. 
My Mother's side were immigrants from Scotland
during WWI, and Ireland during famine. 
My Father's side have been here 
as far back as the founding colonies during
the Revolutionary War and the Civil War. 
Wouldn't it be wonderful to hear their stories? 
We would learn what real courage and resilience was.  
Hopefully, our own grandchildren and great-grandchildren 
will be here to wonder about the same things. 



I've been waking up at the break of dawn the last few days
to put the hummingbird feeders out at first light. 
It's been very cold at night, and I take them in to prevent them from freezing.
 
One benefit to waking up so early is that I see some beautiful sunrises. 
But on this morning, the planet Venus and the crescent moon were there to greet me! 


Another morning I had the crescent moon right over Mt. Rainier at sunrise. 



One morning we had a dusting of snow.  



Old Man Winter is not quite done with us yet. 









So, I wait...

For spring. 

For the pandemic to end. 


For peace.  

"For He will command His angels concerning you to guard
you in all your ways. On their hands they will bear you up,
lest you strike your foot against a stone."
-Psalm 91:11-12

"See, I am sending an angel ahead of you to guard you
along the way and to bring you to the 
place I have prepared."
-Exodus 23:20

xx

Archangel Michael is historically associated with protecting
humanity from the forces of darkness. 
He carries the sword of divine justice. 
He symbolizes courage, strength and protection. 

I pray that Michael watches over the brave people of Ukraine,
especially the little children, the elderly, the soldiers, 
and all of the victims of the senseless wars in this troubled world. 

xoxo

 






16 comments:

  1. Wonderful nature, warm atmosphere of a cosy home and faith, three things that bring joy to these gloomy times.
    Thank you for the lovely post, dear Karen! Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The red radio caught me. It's very cute.
    The great mountain looks wearing an elegant hat.



    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh isn't it awful, it's always the ordinary people that suffer most. Your thumbprint hearts from your grandchildren are just the best with their artwork coming a close second! Isn't Up such a great film, it's one of my favourites, I could watch it again and again! It looks like you've both been keeping busy with your projects as the days go by. It's definitely getting warmer here, the birds are twittering and there are lots of crocuses around now to cheer us all up. I'm sure your soups and bread are doing the safe. Take care x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, what a beautiful post. I feel as if I've been your houseguest for a few days and enjoyed your wonderful hospitality. Making oatmeal raisin cookies for my "Mister" (his favorite, too) is on my to-do list this week; thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am right there with you in prayer over all that is going on in our world. I do think we take our country for granted, my heart goes out to all the countries that have to fight so hard for their freedoms and a descent life.
    you have done a beautiful job making your home comfy and such wonderful family you have, so much to be thankful for that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i enjoyed this post, i love your decor...i always enjoy touring your beautiful home. we are so blessed, i have a wonderful man in my life as well. one who is so good to me as ramblin' man is to you!!

    i have the same glass shelf in my half bathroom, we hung 3, and i really like them. i have a few very unnecessary little knick-necks on mine!!

    the first picture, is that mist/fog around the mountain??

    i will pray along with you...ukraine needs all of our prayers and support. i have heard on the news today that they are holding their own against russia and russia is asking for help from other countries. i wish they would just pull back and end this, so much death already. he reminds me of hitler!!

    and to end on a happy note, i LOVE those measuring spoons, i remember when you got them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet visit, Debbie - it's always a treat when you stop by. Yes, poor Ukraine...it just makes one feel helpless, angry and sad at the same time. To answer your question, the Mt. is surrounded by clouds! Mt. Rainier forms its own weather, and it sometimes swirls around and around. Amazing, huh? Sending hugs xo K

      Delete
  7. Karen, your grandson's bookmarks with the thumbprint hearts are so darling and such a treasure to keep forever. The vintage radio is so cool, and I used to have a small radio in my kitchen and would love to turn it on while cooking. The one your husband got you is very unique. Lovey is so cute sitting there all cozy next to the red plaid throw. The tree fort painting and the house drawing are sweet, and it's those little things that make our house a home sweet home. Your baked goodies sound Yummy. I love oatmeal raisin cookies and wish I had one with my coffee this morning. The sunrise is beautiful. I love that photo of the watering can with the red flowers and the dusting of snow. There are certain photos that you take that I would love to see you have them framed - they are that special. And the mountain is extraordinary. Karen, I got sentimental when you were talking about St. Michael. He is my beloved Saint, and I even have a statue of him in my home. Yes, waiting for Spring here also, but Winter here is so very pretty with the snow, it's almost hard to say goodbye.

    Have a wonderful week, Karen. I really do appreciate your posts. It warms my heart on this very cold day.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your hubby and I share the same love of oatmeal raisin cookies, Karen. It’s always nice to perk into your works, both inside and out. What sweet Valentine gifts you received and many projects to enjoy, and cooking and baking. Your outside views always leave me awe-inspired. I have been watching my youngest son’s dog, Layla, for a week now.
    I’m praying for the Ukrainian people and also for our country. A prayer to St. Michael the archangel is said by me every morning. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karen, there is always so much beauty, strength and goodness in your blog posts. Today I see you are surrounded by beautiful flowers, warm treats and little paintings full of love. Your little grand-dog is just darling and I can just imagine the happiness in seeing the two play together. It is a scary time now and I cry at the news of the plight of the Ukrainian people. They are so courageous and it is terrible what they are having to put up with now. I don't understand why there has to be so much hate in the world. Keep baking and looking out at your beautiful scenery, my friend..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Lovely Friend O Mine ~
    I LOVE that retro CD player! It's so adorable and with love songs too. What a sweet gift from your Honey. As well as all the sweet grandkiddo gifts too. ♥️
    Kai and Lovey are so dang cute together. I bet they are a wonderful distraction. Your kitchen is about as cozy as they come. And to smell those wonderful soups and all that baking would sure help me feel all was right with the world.
    It is so easy to get filled with anxiety - but I also pray it away. I think of myself being a prayer warrior to St. Michael and all the Angels that fight the Dark with the Lord's Light and goodness. Casting it out from every dark corner. I hold onto faith and the belief in His promises to us and how He loves us. I sure believe in the power of so many of us praying in this way and how we keep the priorities of this world in our hearts.
    I love seeing the beautiful and majestic place you live. Your bit blog and corner of the world bring me peace so thanks for sharing it. 💕 Blessings Karen xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. So nice to see your Grandsons artwork.
    I certainly treasure the pictures/drawings that my grandchildren have done too.

    Beautiful photographs within your post, a delight to see.

    Keep well, and I wish you a happy month of month.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your posts are always so especial and precious...Love reading about St Michael. Love your stunning radio too. Amazing post as ever. Such beauty and tenderness.Thank you for sharing your sweet home!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photos Karen, those first two are especially amazing! I too feel the need to wrap myself in the warmth of nature a good dose of cheery colours around the place are always helpful too! The news these days is so tough to watch...
    Your love note is a treasure, it is always calming to have a visit via your posts into your home.
    Have a peaceful day.
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Karen, your home is so loving and joyful and you have so many positive ways to think about something else (other than the state of the world) and I applaud you for that because it does nobody any good to dwell on things we cannot change (I keep trying to tell myself that, sometimes successfully). I agree that remembering what our ancestors got through is helpful -- the world is still standing after all and we are here. I too pray that my grandchildren and great-grandchildren will look back on how we recovered and survived this fraught time. (Speaking of grands, I adore how you have displayed their art work! That mayjust be my favorite thing about this beautiful post.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely post with so many lovely pictures too...
    Oh I just love that red retro radio! Wow!!
    Have a beautiful day and take care in this crazy world...
    Love from a sunny Sweden & Titti

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are important to me and are very much appreciated. xx Karen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...