Monday, February 7, 2022

The Heart of Winter


Hello, Dear Friends, I hope that you are keeping up spirits
as we journey through the heart of winter.

We have had mild weather here in the foothills 
of the Cascade mountains near Mt. Rainier. 

It has been cloudy and gray, with the occasional 
sunny day to cheer us on.
I can't complain.



For quite a long time we had thick fog. 
Believe it or not, that is the sun, not the moon! 

Everything was very quiet and still. 
It was rather eerie. 


While I waited for the sun to return, I kept busy 
in my sewing room. 

I used the time to sew a few heart sachets. 
I like to keep a supply on hand for tucking into 
drawers and onto clothes hangers. 
They also make sweet garlands and gifts. 

xx 


My happy place. 
xx


I do have a good supply of pin cushions! 
I sewed the mushroom and strawberry pin cushions, 
and I found the 'tomato basket' at a flea market. 

The vendor had about a dozen of these little baskets and 
when I asked her about them, she told me 
that she collected the pin cushions from estate and garage sales.

She said that they were at nearly every sale and she felt compelled 
to give them a home. When her collection grew too large, 
she thought up the idea to sell them in berry baskets. 
 
I think that if these little pin cushions could talk, they 
might have some precious stories of quiet hours
spent in loving creativity! 


My violets enjoy this east-facing window. 



I brought the hearts downstairs in the early morning light 
to hand sew the buttons and hanging loops, 
then stuff them with fiberfill and a scoop of dried lavender. 



Black and white ticking. 



These are blue and white to match my bedroom. 

xx

What tugs at your heart strings? 

For me, it's the sweetness of my grandsons.
Unexpected phone calls from my children. 
Hugs and kisses from the Mr. 
Pretty cards and notes from loved ones.  
Flowers. 
Little birds. 
Babies.
Dogs. 
xx 

"There is no charm equal to tenderness of heart"
- Jane Austin -


And Angels. 


I keep a dream journal. 
Do you? 
I live another life in my dreams. 
xx

Lyrics to one of my favorite songs. 

These Dreams

Spare a little candle, save some light for me
Figures up ahead, movin' in the trees
White skin in linen, perfume on my wrist
And the full moon that hangs over
These dreams in the mist

Darkness on the edge, shadows where I stand
I search for the time on a watch with no hands
I want to see you clearly, come closer than this
But all I remember are the dreams in the mist

These dreams go on when I close my eyes
Every second of the night I live another life
These dreams that sleep when it's cold outside
Every moment I'm awake, the further I'm away (the further I'm away)

Is it cloak and dagger? Could it be spring or fall?
I walk without a cut through a stained glass wall
(Weaker in my eyesight)
Weaker in my eyesight, the candle in my grip
(Words that have no form)
And words that have no form are falling from my lips

These dreams go on when I close my eyes
Every second of the night I live another life
These dreams that sleep when it's cold outside
Every moment I'm awake the further I'm away (the further I'm away)

There's something out there I can't resist
I need to hide away from the pain
There's something out there I can't resist

The sweetest song is silence that I've ever heard
Funny how your feet in dreams never touch the earth
In a wood full of princes, freedom is a kiss
But the prince hides his face from dreams in the mist

These dreams go on when I close my eyes
Every second of the night I live another life
These dreams that sleep when it's cold outside
Every moment I'm awake the further I'm away

These dreams go on when I close my eyes (every second)
Every second of the night I live another life
These dreams that sleep when it's cold outside
Every moment I'm awake...

Songwriters: Bernie Taupin, Martin Page








Cream Linen with vintage lace and buttons. 

I have no idea why the font and layout has changed here. 
It's the blog ghost. 
*grin*






I put together this Victorian style cloche, 
with a craft-store bird,
for my winter mantel. 





I sewed some sherpa pillows for the library chairs, too. 




I put together an art corner to keep myself busy 
for the rest of the winter. 

I have no plans to join society any time soon. 
xx



I'm strictly amateur, of course,
and starting out with a paint by number! 
xx
The light is good right here, and it is out of the way
of our day to day living. 


This is what the finished painting is supposed to look like. 
Wish me luck! 



I transformed this vintage vase into a paintbrush holder. 
I used a big piece of polka-dot poster board to protect my table. 
The paint containers are drawer organizers. 
I used what I had on hand! 
The little table folds up flat when not in use. 


The view out the window. 
The primroses are still blooming. 




Precious pansies. 



I bought a new flat to plant. 
We have mild winters here and by the end of February
the early bulbs are already blooming. 



"If I had a flower for every time I thought of you...
I could walk through my garden forever."
- Alfred Tennyson -



Moss pots and ferns. 
The plaque was my Mom's and says,
"A gardener's life
is full of sweets and sours, 
he gets the sunshine
when he needs the showers."




Moss flowers. 


Moss and succulents. 
I'm saving this for a fairy garden. 


We had some hail the other day. 


Sweet Kai braved the hail to rescue his little toy. 
Ramblin' Man named all Kai's toys. 
This one is 'Timmy'. 
Those two keep me laughing. 

"Make sure you marry someone who laughs
at the same things you do."
- J.D. Salinger -

Speaking of 'All Creatures Great and Small', 
have you been watching Masterpiece? 
It's wonderful. 
We've also been watching, 'Around the World in 80 Days'.


 Whenever the sun comes out, I put on my gardening gloves 
and get to work outside. 
Here I've trimmed my heart-shaped wildflower garden. 

Kai keeps watch. 
With Timmy. 
xx

Another project in waiting - trimming all of the hydrangeas. 
I'll wait a little longer. 
The old blooms protect this year's buds from frost. 
There's plenty to do in the meantime. 

"Love is space and time measured by the heart."
- Marcel Proust -


From the bedroom window. 

The next night, four deer decided to tramp through it
sampling the new shoots. 
What can you do? 
They were beautiful in the moonlight, though. 
I didn't have the heart to scare them away. 
xx

To compensate, this was the sunrise 
the next morning. 
xx

Love never gives up, never loses faith, 
is always hopeful and endures 
through every circumstance. 
- Corinthians 13:7 -

"I have decided to stick to love;
hate is too great a burden to bear."
- Martin Luther King, Jr. -
xoxo

Thinking of you, Dear Friends, and hoping 
that you are able to find peace and comfort 
in this troubled world we live in. 
xoxo

Keep shining your light. 
xx






 

19 comments:

  1. whenever i visit to you i feel as i have found heaven already dear Karen :)

    despite of all the harshness that season brings the peek into your beyond beautiful world fills me with serenity and joy :)

    everything is splendid and amazingly well arranged in your astonishingly beautiful house .
    call from loved ones is always refreshing i agree .
    i thoroughly loved the poetry and quotes ,yes hate is burden and curse for those who choose it and love is most beautiful blessing one can receive from his maker :)
    your love shines not just through your sweet personality but everything you touch including your lovely family :)
    blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, this was a wonderful post. Love all the verses and your beautiful heart strings. Your Kai and his friend, Timmy, are so sweet. Our Kai doesn't play with toys, but Robin has two favorites, a skunk named Smelly and a flat duck called Road Kill. Very inventive names! What a gorgeous spot you inhabit. So calm and peaceful. I always love visiting your beautiful home..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, Judy, I am cracking up! Smelly and Road Kill! Thanks for your fun visit! xx

      Delete
  3. I always enjoy my visits to your blog.
    Your first photograph is my favourite, even though the sky is such a wonderful colour in your last one.
    You do stay busy, but then there always seems plenty to do.
    I am currently enjoying a quiet evening blogging with a nice cup of tea on my side table :)

    Happy February Wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, you are one of the most creative women in blog land, always working on a project or two, how wonderful. I like your sewing space, and I can see why it's your happy place. The heart sachets are cute, and they look darling hanging from your bed posts. I've always loved that little bent over angel on your dresser. Speaking of dreams.....I had some really long dreams last night. Only remember a small part of them. But I do believe that sometimes our dreams are telling us something important. The candles on your mantel caught my eye, they're so charming, and the sherpa pillows look soft and comfy. You have a delightful art corner with that cute polka dot poster board. I LOVE those red pansies! They are so pretty. I think the moss plant will be perfect for a fairy garden. It's great that you are already outside working in your garden. I enjoy working outside also weeding and raking and making things look nice, but it's still really cold right now, so my son was out there helping out one day. That photo of Kai keeping watch is wonderful, and I think that one should be framed. And those precious deer - what a gift they are coming to visit you in the moonlight. You've been so busy working on crafty projects, Karen, and your home is set for all the things you need and love to work on. I laughed when you said, "I have no plans to join society any time soon." I feel the same way, dear friend. Our homes are truly speical, aren't they?

    Happy February days, Karen.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the hearts you have been making they look terrific on your bed, such a beautiful room you have there. It has been cold here but the last couple of days have actually been normal temps for this time of year and sometimes a couple degrees warmer, I feel like spring will soon be here :)
    Yes I have been watching both PBS shows, I am not quite caught up on the 80 days though. I tape them just incase I get disrupted by my cats or hubby I can pause and then continue watching :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Karen, I love your pretty sewing room and the hearts you made. The flowers are gorgeous and remind me that spring is on the way soon. How wonderful to have an area to paint and I can't wait to see your finished painting. We've had very cold weather here and recently a foot of snow but that has melted this week. I hope you keep busy with your hobbies Karen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello dear Karen!
    I love your posts - they always make my heart happy and I feel cozier after seeing your home and projects that you're working on. I'm envious of your seamstress skills. Never something I was very good at. But I love living through you! Lol Those hearts are adorable and so useful. I LOVE lavender.
    And I've always loved that song - sure brings back memories. I don't do a dream journal, but I do a regular one. I need to get back to more crafting though. And reading! I go in spurts.
    I'm also envious of your mild weather and flowers already!! I dream on flowers and digging in the dirt. Sigh. I have a good several months yet unfortunately. The northwoods loves to hold onto winter.
    I hope you have a blessed rest of your week and a sweet and cozy Valentine's Day with the Mr.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Karen, I so enjoyed my visit to your blog today. Your sachet and banner hearts are so sweet! It’s always nice to take a peek inside and outside your home to see what you’re up to. The beautiful scenery that you have to view each day always amazes me. Blessings to you and Happy Valentine’s Day. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  9. You never know what you're going to find outside your windows each day and whether you'll be able to see anything at all! Good job you're lovely and cosy inside with plenty to do. I love your pretty hearts. Another thing I love is the flowering moss, we have some on top of the postbox and I have to go and see it if I am nearby. One day someone had placed a small doll on it to enjoy 'the garden'! I'll look forward to seeing your painting, I haven't done one of those for years. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such beauty and inspiration here... Your angels and flowers are gorgeous and made me smile! Beautiful photos. Hugs and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You and flowers have been enjoying the bright sunlight in the early spring. Happy Sunday to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I so enjoy your posts, they have a wonderfully welcoming feeling of home. I enjoyed seeing your treasures and your makes, the heart garland is beautiful.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh what a wonderful post, so much beauty and joy!! the heart garland is quite fancy, your bedroom is beautiful, i really like the colors.

    i LOVE the art corner you have put together, you have lots of great sun filled spaces to be creative. the deck and pansies are looking quite wonderful!! the sunrise is especially pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely post and lovely pictures!
    Hug, Titti

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your place looks like home :)

    https://www.alyinwanderland.com/2022/02/cute-grunge.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. These hearts are really nice :) And I love these cute strawberries.
    I was thinking about making small pumpkins, but maybe next year - for upcoming Autumn :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are important to me and are very much appreciated. xx Karen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...