Monday, October 2, 2023

A Walk in Tuscany


Hello, Dear Friends! In my last post I promised to take you on 
a little walk around the village of Montici in the 
beautiful region of Tuscany. 
Come along with me and we will explore this charming place 
on a beautiful, late summer morning. 


The magical sound of church bells begins the day. 


A map of the village hung on a wall. 



Some of the villas were shut up for the season already. 








We had to duck into doorways to let vehicles pass in some places. 


I found one that was just my size! 



My son and grandson. 


Pretty pots of flowers tucked everywhere. 







Well-worn stairs


We had to wait several days to find this little shop open. 
I bought a few small gifts and souvenirs, 
hand-painted wine stoppers, and a pretty tablecloth here. 

Table linens, scarfs, and small kitchen or bar-ware items
 are always on my list to buy as lovely and useful souvenirs 
of my travels. Small artwork and regional cookbooks are on the list, too. 
All so easy to pack and don't take up much space. 






A friendly cat came to greet us. 


Many of the villas had these thick, rough doors 
tucked into a separate entrance. 
I found out that they were old stable doors! 
Of course! People needed some place to park the donkey
and keep chickens and pigs! 

The village had everything to sustain itself
in days gone by.  


A place to tie up your cart? 



Everything was so neat and clean. 


This one was well-loved. 


Beautiful doors and hand-worked lace curtains. 


A little pass-through window. 
I saw an episode of Stanley Tucci: Searching for Italy, and 
he explained these little windows as a place 
where you can buy a glass of wine! 
You just tap on the window
to see if they are open for business! 


A nice photo of son, Gabe. 
We were there to celebrate his 40th birthday. 
xx



Interesting lichens and a drip pool that must have taken 
many, many years to form. 


Beautiful lace panels. 


Old stable doors and window. 


This looks like some type of official entrance, maybe. 





This villa was so charming, with arched doorways, 
rooftop garden and stone bench. 


It was nestled into a nice courtyard, too. 



Many family residences have their own unique medallion. 


A very medieval-looking doorway! 





Um...I won't say it. Lol! 



Romeo, Romeo, where art thou, Romeo?


Gabe's dear MIL, Jayne, checking out the flowers. 



Church doors. 



A tiny church. 


My DIL, Jen tries to reassure a scared kitten. 






A tiny heart puddle. 


Ramblin' Man under an olive tree. 


Thank you for coming along with me, Dear Friends! 
I hope you enjoyed our stroll through Montici! 

xx

Next time we will prepare an authentic Italian meal together. 
I hope you will join me! 

xx








11 comments:

  1. Thank you for the lovely stroll, dear Karen!
    I too love this kind of beautiful, old, characteristic villages (again, who wouldn't?) and totally fell in love with the gate in photo number 15. :)
    I'm very much looking forward to your cooking post. Preparing Italian dishes is a very important part of our family life but we seldom take photos.
    Thank you for your comment and the tip concerning Irish knitwear! I have already found something interesting.
    Happy October to you and yours! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, what a beautiful place, you took some lovely pictures. odd to see how narrow the streets are, that really stood out to me. i would love to live in a quaint little town like this, it is so charming there. the little shop you described was a perfect match for you, wasn't it?! i don't think i have ever seen ramblin' man, what an awesome smile he has!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, what a wonderful and beautiful place. The photos are so pretty. Love the little tow-head grandson, Jake looked exactly like that at that age. What a wonderful birthday for your son. To be in such a grand place with all of his loved ones. I missed your last post so will go back to see what I have missed..Take care and enjoy the beautiful Autumn..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for continuing to share your amazing trip dear Karen! I pour over each photo. I love the architecture and unique touches everywhere. So very beautiful!! 😍 PS: You are adorable (love that dress!) Your whole family is beautiful. 😊
    I look forward to the next one - Italian food!! 😋 My love language. Lol
    Blessings. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I certainly did enjoy my stroll with you through Montici, a wonderful selection of photographs.
    A lovely place to celebrate your sons 40th birthday.
    Looking forward to seeing your next post and the Italian meal ...yum!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful place. You must be on holiday and I must have missed a post, I will go and find it! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen, what a wonderful vacation to Italy with your family. I read the other posts and thanks for taking us along on your trip. I enjoyed looking at all of the photos and it's been a long time since I've been to Italy and miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful to hear the Church bells on your walk in Tuscany. That map of the village carved in stone is something else. I loved the alleyways - they're so narrow, and you can tell by the picture of the cars passing through. That's a pretty coral dress you're wearing, Karen. The flower pots on the sills are so charming. That is really something that for how old the streets are that they are kept up and maintained. I imagine each family that owns the villas have kept them up nicely too. That is a great picture of your son, and what a way to celebrate his 40th by going on an adventure in Tuscany. I loved that balcony with the enclosed window and shutters. You know, it reminded me just like the one in "Under The Tuscan Sun" where Francis often goes out on her balcony and waves to the old man. Oh Karen, I am enjoying coming along with you on your trip. It is a trip of a lifetime, and now I am seeing it through your eyes, which is wonderful.

    Have a beautiful October.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! What a place! So beautiful and the houses are amazing...
    Love from Titti

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous way to spend Gabe’s 40th Birthday! I loved touring along with you through your photos of Tuscany, Karen. Happy October!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am enjoying your days in Tuscany, Karen. Italian cooking lessons in Italy! The views from your villa are so pretty. That is a nice picture of Gabe laughing. I couldn't help but smiling along with him. I love Sophia Loren's quote. Do you know I consider her to be one of the beauties in films? Tiramisu is a scrumptious dessert, and I had it once at a Christmas dinner party. It's so Yummy. The sketch of the balcony you did is very nice. And the scene with the lanterns and the wicker chair looks like a charming and perfect spot just to be. A sweet and dear close-up photo of your grandson too. Thank you for taking us along on your Tuscany journey, Karen. It looks like a trip of a lifetime.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are important to me and are very much appreciated. xx Karen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...