Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Spring Forward


Hello, Dear Friends! Time is racing ahead as we spring forward 
into a new season! 
We had a relatively mild winter, here in the Pacific Northwest, 
and I am very grateful for that.
Some years are better than others and you never 
can predict these things, although I keep buying 
'The Old Farmer's Almanac' in hopes that it can be done. 
xx
As we transition to spring, the weather has been typically unsettled, with sunshine, 
rain, hail, wind and then back to sunshine, sometimes all in one day! 
Despite it all, nature is her usual resilient self, and we are seeing 
more and more signs of spring. 


I indulged in a few pots of pansies from the garden center, 
and you can see that the wild plum tree is starting to bloom
in the background. 
That signifies the official start of spring here. 



Forsythia below the deck. 
It's a wild tangle that wraps around the corner, 
started from one little rooted twig. 



My first daffodil has bloomed in the barrel I planted last fall. 
I planted some crocus, too, but I think the squirrels 
made off with the bulbs! I had better luck with pots on the deck. 
xx

The groundcover around it is yellow Archangel. 
It is extremely invasive, 
but when you have large expanses of 
shady ground to cover, it is perfect. 
It will have upright yellow flower bracts in a few weeks
and has lovely, variegated leaves that are evergreen here. 




Hellebore - Lenten Rose. 
I've tried growing these in various places with no success, 
so I kept this one in a pot and it seems to be thriving. 


It took years for this ivy to spread. We built the wall about 30 years ago.
Back when we were young and strong. 
xx


I have so many gardening chores to do. The first is to cut the 
dead hydrangea blooms. I keep them into early spring 
to protect the new buds from any hard frost we might have. 


You can see them in the background. It's a wild place that 
I live in!
Kai carries around his little toy wherever he goes. 


But don't you dare try to take it away! Haha! 






This little guy sat still in the budding viburnum tree
 long enough for me to take some sweet photos. 

Don't let that innocent look fool you, though. He is very territorial - 
chasing away anyone who gets near his feeder. 
I have to keep several feeders full to give his rivals a chance. 
You can see that he is giving me the eye, too! 



Another sure sign of spring are the alder catkins. 

They look so pretty against the moody gray sky. 

When I was a volunteer art teacher in the elementary 
school when my children were young, (way back when) 
I had the students paint a light green tree on gray construction paper, 
with pink catkins on the branches. 
I found the inspiration driving down the road one spring day, 
past a stand of Alder trees illuminated by the early morning sun
against a dark gray sky. 
The paintings turned out so pretty that they were hung in the windows 
of our local post office. 
xx 
Small town sweetness. 

I taught art once a month in my daughter's 5th grade classroom 
for a year. There were several of us who volunteered 
through a guided program, using famous 
works of art, then using that artist's technique for the students
 to create something of their own.
We volunteers had to come up with the projects ourselves, 
which was sometimes challenging, 
but a very fun and rewarding experience.
xx 


It is getting rather cold out here. Time to go inside! 


I've put away all of my Irish treasures for St. Patrick's Day,
 and replaced them with a few Easter decorations. 
I also sewed a tiny curtain to hide my coffee mugs. 
I have quite a few for when the whole family comes to visit.

I also cleaned underneath the cupboard - my goodness - there was a whole 
dust bunny living it's life under there! Haha! 
x




I have a thing for tiny glass baskets.
They make good candy dishes. 
Or vases for bouquets of dandelions. 
xx


This little pansy doily was my Mom's. 
I had given it to her as a gift years ago. 
We had been shopping in an antique store
together (one of our favorite pastimes) 
and I had picked it up to buy it 
for myself, but she loved it so much, I gave it 
to her after I bought it. 
It didn't take much to make her happy.
xx 



I added a soft pink throw and some sweet bunnies
  to my daybed. 


xx


This print has no identifying information, so I don't know who 
the artist is, but I loved it when I found it at a thrift store. 


Gift from a loved one. 
xx


A paper tulip my grandson made last year. 


This little fairy has a bunny companion. 


Bright, pretty flowers from a dear friend. 



Hop on the Bunny Train! 
Something from when my children were young. 



Ramblin' Man dislikes cooked carrots. 
I love them, so I pull them out of his soups and stews
and enjoy them all to myself. 
Curiously, he likes them raw, though.

Speaking of my dear man, thank you for all 
of your kind, encouraging comments in your last post. 
He is recovering nicely from 'minor' surgery
and expects to make a full recovery. 

(Big sigh of relief)

Having a big family means there is always 
someone to worry about...especially 
now that we also have the grand-boys. 

I suffer from anxiety at times, but I am learning 
to manage it. Deep breaths...lots of faith...
I'm sure most of you can relate. 
xx


I put all of my delicate things out of the reach of little hands. 
The Mr. installed a new faucet for me recently. 
I had gone out to lunch and shopping with my two daughters, 
and when I came home, he had it all done. 
Now that's true love! 
xx
The old faucet was nice, but it was bronze and the minerals 
in our well-water would bind to it and no matter how
much I scrubbed, it wouldn't come off. 
Through trial and error we have discovered that chrome 
is the best solution. 


My version of an 'egg tree'. 



These are real, hand-painted blown eggs, 
a sweet gift from my daughter years ago. 
I have managed to keep them intact by 
packing them carefully in an oatmeal container
after Easter. 



Hand-painted sweetness with 
velvet pansies. 



'Now my dears', said old Mrs. Rabbit one morning,
'you may go into the fields or down the lane, 
but don't go into Mr. McGregor's garden: 
your father had an accident there;
he was put in a pie by Mrs. McGregor'.

(That's a little disturbing!)


The St. Patrick's Day table when  
we had our dear friends over. 

I served Irish stew, (except I used beef, not lamb)
a salad, and Irish brown bread. 
Of course, I didn't take any photos of the meal! 
I meant to, but was too busy serving and 'catching up'
with them! 

I made a pretty parfait in my green dessert dishes, too. 
I tinted vanilla pudding green, then layered it with crushed 
mint Oreo's and a whipped cream cheese/heavy cream mixture
flavored with a little sugar and mint extract. 
It was very pretty and sooo tasty! 

I offered to serve lime mimosas, but they wanted red wine, 
so that's what we had. 


The cloth has shamrocks with a dark background. 
Of course - green fruit and jelly beans. 



We had a pot of gold, too! Chocolate coins. 
xx



My new coffeemaker.
(The old one stopped working.) 
The brand name is 'Nostalgia'.
We found it on Amazon.  
It goes nicely with my vintage stove. 


xx



A couple of books that I've been reading. 


Creating a wildflower garden month by month
with detailed planting information 
and wonderful illustrations. 


I have Bird's Foot Trefoil growing in my gardens. 
It's a pretty little low-growing, deciduous vine that scrambles over 
the ground, or anything in front of it, but doesn't take over. 

And of course, I named my daughter, 'Heather'. 


This is the cover page of 'Life in the Garden'. 


I have not been familiar with the author, Penelope Lively, but as 
you can see she is quite a prolific writer. 
She is British, and in her 80's now, and I do like her down to earth
writing style, so I will be interested in reading more of her works. 


I've removed my craft shelving from the upstairs bedroom 
that I am turning into a guest room, and 
tucked them into a corner of the library. 
It's not the ideal solution, but I've tried to keep it all 
as unobtrusive as possible by using 
baskets and boxes and crates to hide it all. 


This is the big picture. 


Ramblin' Man's desk. 


The flower 'vase' is actually made from tree bark. 
The Grandboys play with their toys in this room, 
so I needed something unbreakable. 

xx

I'll be busy this week working outside, tending to my 
gardens and tidying up my deck to get ready for 
the season. 

Weather permitting, that is. 

I have plenty of projects inside, too. 
Still working on clearing out the bedroom upstairs 
and also doing a bit of sewing for gifts. 
I will keep that a secret for now! 

I also need to catch up on my nature journal and will show 
you my entries in my next post. 

I will be hosting Easter, too. So, a busy month ahead. 
What are you up to these days, Dear Friends? 
What are you reading? What projects are you working on? 
Any fun plans? 

xx





"We may see on a spring day in one place more beauty in a wood
than in any garden."

- William Robinson -
'The Garden Beautiful' (1907)


 

"Treat your friends as you do your pictures,
and place them in their best light."

- Jennie Jerome Churchill -
(1854-1921)
English writer (mother of Winston Churchill)

xx












 

11 comments:

  1. Karen, so many things I loved on here today! I get so much inspiration with your decorating ideas. That Lenten Rose is pretty, and have never heard of it. You know so much about gardening, It was interesting to hear you keep the old blooms into early Spring to protect new buds from frost. The hummingbird photos you take delight me every time. That was a sweet story about the children's paintings hung in the window of the post office. I know what you mean about the dust. It seems to collect here in the mountains, doesn't it? The green doily of your mom's is very special, and I'm glad you have that. I have a pink one similar that was my grandmother's. Karen, I LOVE the painting of the two girls above your sofa. It reminds me so much of my daughters. And those sweet cloth bunnies too! The paper tulip your grandson made is a treasure. And the pink fairy in the garden made me smile. The bunny train is too cute. Your grandkids will love that! I've always loved your kitchen window looking outside, it's so charming. The mint Oreo dessert sounds amazing. And what a special quote that is at the end of your post about friends and their "Best Light." I will pass that on to my best friend. Karen, I must come back again and browse through all your Easter goodies. You have such creative ideas, and you make everything in your home look so nice and welcoming.

    Happy Spring to you, dear Karen. I thought Spring came to us as well, but I woke up yesterday morning, and we had two feet of snow! We just never know about the weather in the mountains, do we? But I'm embracing what's in front of me. And appreciating my blog friends who give so much thanks as well, like YOU.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like this time of year, it's always lovely to see the Spring flowers.
    With Easter not being far away, we shall get our Easter decorations out this coming weekend.
    I think your Spring and Easter Décor looks lovely, I especially like the Bunny Train.

    Enjoy these last few days of March.
    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen! Such a lovely Springy post. Feeds my Spring needing soul. Lol I love the nature shots and flowers you captured and shared. I can't wait to get to planting pots of my own! And I treasure the stories and memories you share to go with the items in your home. So special. Your St. Patty's meal looked perfectly green and sounded so yummy!! I need to remember those parfaits for next year. And I think you did a beautiful job incorporating the crafting into the library/office. I just love every room in your cozy home. ;) Blessings on lovely Spring ahead. 🌸 💗 xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bird is enjoying the warm spring sunshine.
    Your decorations are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen, you decorated the house so nice for spring and Easter. I love the pretty flowers and the photos of the bird. Your dog is cute too with his toy in his mouth. I hope you have a nice spring and enjoy Easter with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen, what a beautiful post as always. I have a few mounds of daffodils that are about 2 inches above ground but no blooms yet, that is how I measure spring around here. Everything looks so pretty and your St. Patrick's Day dinner sounds amazing and looks beautiful. I love the pic of Kai with his toy. We don't let Rugby take his outside because it is so wet and muddy now but he does bury it in the house just before he goes out so it stays safe!. Sounds like you are having a good spring so far and a busy one. Happy Spring..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sure does look like spring has sprung in your neck of the woods. We are under a tornado watch here, having high winds, hail, rain, our poor cat is in hiding. But that is part of spring down here.
    I love your baskets and bunnies. I am like your husband, don't care for cooked carrots but love them raw. Hope you all have a blessed Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's good to see all the Spring flowers and birds back again in the sunshine ready for Easter which has come around so quickly this year. Have a great time with the family no doubt you will be cooking all sorts of delicious things and hiding lots of eggs for the children. Enjoy x

    ReplyDelete
  9. All is beautiful, both inside and out. It must be lovely sitting on the deck looking out to that splendid view. It sounds as if you are busy, busy, busy. I always think how lovely it would be to knock on your door and enjoy a visit with you. I hear what you say regarding anxieties and worries of our family. It seems as if there is something which invariably crops up. Enjoy a lovely Easter, Karen,celebrating with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your hellebore plant is lovely. I got a new on from my dear friend for my birthday 2 months ago. I've taken a few pictures of it when we had a bit of snow ❄️. I live in Oregon and we had rain then hail last evening. 😑 20 minutes worth. Weather's been cold. Will see what the tulips 🌷 look like this week. Less blooms than normal. Very creative lady you are. Have a blessed Easter ✝️ and beyond. ~Becky

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank you for the lovely tour of your garden area and beautiful home dear Karen !
    it is always truly a pleasure to see your world which reflects the goodness and light of your soul to it's fullest :) with each visit i feel more enlightened and happy :)
    everything is splendid no doubt !
    the flowers blooming in your garden and kai playing with his toy so awesome :)))
    you have such a mastery on transforming your house with new seasons :) this is so inspiring and so amazing .fills my heart with more love of life and enthusiasm of life :)
    so nice to hear that your hubby is recovering by the grace of Lord ! may it be speedily amen!
    congrats for the new coffee machine :) always good to have ne appliances .
    how good to gift your mom ,such kindness is rewarding indeed.
    i have big in laws family with so many little children and i can relate how tough it is to manage things meanwhile .
    loved your gorgeous addition to daybed :)
    i am curious to see everything so neat and shining that how you manage to keep s tidy during windy season because here i am so tired by cleaning during windy months of summer .
    loved the Easter table setting as well .
    so enjoyed this visit !
    stay blessed as always.
    more joys to you and loved ones

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are important to me and are very much appreciated. xx Karen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...