Monday, December 20, 2021

Christmas Decorating and Vintage Style Treat Containers




Hello, Dear Friends! Here we are, counting down the days 
to Christmas and another year gone by. 
It has been a challenging year for everyone, 
some much more than others.
These we hold in our hearts and honor 
their suffering by being kind, helpful and charitable 
whenever the opportunity provides, not only 
at Christmas, but also, in our everyday lives. 

Christmas is an opportunity to bring a bit of cheer 
to all of our loved ones, friends, neighbors, 
and those in need
during these dark days of winter. 


I've been a busy little elf, along with my most willing helper, 

sweet Ramblin' Man, who has worked tirelessly 

to prepare the house for winter and the holiday season. 

Let's step inside and get warm! 


The low, December sun has brightened the day. 

It has been cold, wet and gray, including some very stormy days recently.  

The sunshine is a welcome reprieve. 




Santa is loading his sleigh...

We are hosting the family this year. 

xxxx

We are all fully vaccinated.  

Ramblin' Man and I have our boosters. 

Still, we have to be cautious. 

I dream of a day when we don't have to worry...

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it will be anytime soon. 

So, I and my family continue to follow all guidelines

for the sake of each other and for the greater good of all. 

xoxo





The angel we purchased together the first year we were married. 
She is in her late 40's now, but she still looks good. 
She holds a shooting star. 
xx



Our little tree. 

The last couple of years I have exchanged all of my ornaments 

for unbreakable ones, although they look remarkably like glass. 

With 5 little grand-boys, I thought it would be a good idea. 

We use artificial trees. 

We don't want to worry about fire. 

xx






This year I used my collection of brass and glittered fruits,

all gathered over years of flea-markets and antique shops. 

I love sorting through my collections to put a new look together. 






I went with a decidedly Victorian look this year. 



This little guy guards the feeder outside the window. 
He is an Annas Hummingbird. 
They winter-over here in western Washington. 
We have relatively mild winters, 
although we do get the occasional fierce winter storm. 
I have four feeders stationed in different areas around 
the house to keep these territorial little guys from 
fighting. Too much. 
His dark chin turns iridescent rose in sunlight. 


My vintage sewing machine pulls double duty as an entry table. 
The card rack is a Pottery Barn treasure from several years ago. 


Ramblin' Man and I with a dear little one, in a snowy scene from 

a couple of years ago, among more of my brass collection.

 


Can I pour you a cuppa? 
I love my red coffee-maker. 
xx


A favorite ornament. 





Greenhouse dreams. 




The kitchen gets dressed in red and green. 







The children's corner. 

xx



Cupcakes I baked with my grandson. 
He loves decorating them with sprinkles. 



A few of my green depression glass serving pieces. 

The honey-pot by the Scotty dog was a gift from our Sis, Terry. 



Jars of sprinkles. 


The apron on the pantry was a gift from our 
Lil' Sis, Donna. 

Wouldn't it look pretty with red, green or black slacks and a sweater? 
Very 1950's. 


Sweet little mitten from a dear friend. 




I found the framed coffee ad on a trip to New Orleans years ago. 




Cookie baking. 

I saved a few for our coffee. 

Some treat containers for giving. 


These were easy to make out of large tin cans that I saved. 
Flip top cans don't work - they have sharp edges. 
 I only saved cans that have to be opened with 
a can opener. 

If you would like to make some like these, you will 
need some tinsel trim and extra Christmas cards. 
These have glittered scenes of winter birds. 

The cans were fitted with wire handles
through small, drilled holes, then spray-painted with dark gold. 
(Ramblin' Man helped out with that part)

I cut the cards to fit, then hot-glued them on, centering 
them under the handles. I trimmed around the edges
of the cards and the handles with tinsel trim, using hot glue. 



Aren't they sweet? 
I added tissue paper and wired, sparkly trim inside. 

There are so many style possibilities for these and they 
can be used for any occasion through-out the year. 
How cute would a Valentine's theme be? 


I'll leave you with a few little scenes from the library shelves. 










As we celebrate another Christmas and look forward to 
another new year, I am 
wishing you a lovely holiday season filled 
with love in your heart and peace in your soul. 

xx

I know that the holidays are often filled with 
an aching heart as we see the empty chairs at the table, 
and only have our memories to sustain us. 
All of the 'celebrations' sometimes have a hollow ring. 
Some are alone, and many are without,
and we must keep these always in our hearts. 

Sending you love. 

xx


'Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, 
for thereby some have entertained angels unawares'
- Hebrews 13:2 -

'For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways'
- Psalm 91:11 - 

'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least 
of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me'
- Mathew 25:40 -




Merry Christmas my Dear Friends and Loved Ones
who are one and the same. 

xoxo






14 comments:

  1. It is always such a joy to see your world. Your Christmas looks set to be a good (if cautious one!) we are sharing in this as we are gathering in the UK grateful to do this for the first time in two years but as you mention with an empty chair without Dad.
    You are always so thoughtful in what you write and do your Christmas cookie tins will be a keeper long after the cookies are eaten.
    Wishing you all a wonderful Christmas
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything is looking so festive in your neck of the woods and it's great to hear you'll all be able to celebrate together. Your little ones will be so excited, changing the glass decorations is probably a wise idea! You'd never know there are cans under the pretty Christmas coverings, such a good idea. Wishing you a wonderful Christmas and a happy healthy New Year. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much Christmassy loveliest on here today, Karen. Your front door is so festive and pretty with the red lights and the wreath. I really like the reindeer on top of your hutch. Your Christmas tree with all the red ornaments is lovely. You know, my dear Mom used to put red balls on her tree and nothing else.....maybe some tinsel. It was always so nice. The three candle holder on your mantel is so unique, and looks old, I love that. And I love that card rack as well. What a great idea to hold the Christmas cards we get each year. The little greenhouses are so cute. I smiled when you said, "the children's corner," as that would be MY corner - I love Snoopy and everything you have at that space. And Oh, how I always wanted a red thermos and lunch pail when I was a kid. What a treasure that is. The treat containers are creative and such a wonderful gift for loved ones. And the sky photos are beautiful. They look Heavenly. I hope you have a Merry Christmas, Karen. I thank you for your friendship all these years, and for sharing your warm and cozy house. It's so nice to look at with each and every holiday season.

    ~Sheri

    **I will definitely come back and look at your precious post before Christmas. It's just too wonderful not to. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, I love this post. So many wonderful sights of Christmas in your beautiful home and the warm wishes that you send along are so heartfelt. The front door looks so welcoming and festive and the little cans are just beautiful. I thought they were covered in fabric. So soft and pretty. I love your little greenhouses. My dear friend, I hope you have the merriest of days with your family and even though we all have to be so careful in the way that we celebrate, I know you will have a wonderful time..Merry Christmas and Happy New Year..xxooJudy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cozy home looks so beautiful decked out in your pretty style, Karen. May you have a wonderful Christmas hosting your family this year. Yes please, I’d love a cookie before I leave. Merry Christmas to you and yours! ❤️🎄❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. your home looks so lovely, copy and warm!! a home anyone would love to spend the holidays in!! we have small trees now, one in the living room and one in the den. i would enjoy a big one but the tabletop ones are so pretty and you can have many, i would like one in each room. i need to get the hubs on board with that!! i don't remember seeing the library before, it is quite a great, comfy room!!

    the cans are so adorable, and what a great way to repurpose cans!! i really enjoyed this post, merry christmas, i hope you have a wonderful holiday!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely post.
    Everything looks ready and perfect for Christmas.

    Merry Christmas Wishes to you and your family, enjoy the time together.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your home looks wonderful, glad you are able to see some sunshine, I heard there are storms out that way. I love your snowman teapot that is just the cutest. Love your tin can idea too, great way to use your extra cards.
    So glad you will be able to spend the day with your family this year.
    Merry Christmas and a very happy and healthy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing Christmas post! Merry Christmas, Karen! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Karen,
    I hope you and your family had a very Merry Christmas! Your home looks beautiful. I love the tree and the cute Santa sleigh and reindeer. What a cute idea decorating the cans, very creative. I am sure your grandchildren love baking with you, cookies and cupcakes look yummy. I love your sweet hummingbird. I wish you all the best in 2022, a very happy and healthy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your decorations are so beautiful and cozy. I also love second-hand items. I usually buy them in flea-markets and also on the charity auctions. I support abandoned dogs from the private shelter.

    I hope you had a wonderful holidays and I wish you everything the best for the New Year :) Stay safe :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Holidays my dear Karen! I hope that you have all had a very healthy and fun Christmas. And that you will all have a very blessed 2022 ahead. 🙏
    I love the warmth and cozy of your home. And the aesthetic so much. So many things remind me of my northwoods home and that feel. I really love the brass and Victorian fruit feel this year! And I so love the pops of red in your kitchen. I'm always so drawn to that color. And the treat containers turned out adorably!! You have the best ideas. 😊
    There are such bittersweet moments that makes the holidays really difficult sometimes. But every year many of the aches get a little easier. Time, faith from above, and wonderful loved ones bring such healing.
    Have the happiest New Year fun ahead! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are important to me and are very much appreciated. xx Karen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...