Thursday, August 24, 2023

A Trip to Tuscany


 Hello, Dear Friends. 

I thought you might like to come along with me
on a lovely trip to Tuscany
 as we try to forget the many troubles
 of the day, for just a little while. 
xx
 I've meant to share this trip from 2018 
so many times, but life got in the way.
Then, as we entered into Covid 19, and 
Italy suffered so, it just didn't seem to be a good time.
Now time has passed, and although we can never forget the trauma, 
we can try to focus on all the good that remains, 
including the resiliency and kindness of the Italian
people and their amazingly beautiful country
and culture. 
xx

It was the trip of a lifetime for my family and I, as we made 
so many wonderful memories. 
To say it was magical is an understatement, 
but I will let you decide...

Over the next few posts, I invite you to join me
as I walk down memory lane in the beautiful hills of Tuscany. 

You can see my previous post, On the Road to Tuscany 
by clicking on the link. 



 I left off as we arrived at our destination, 
a 10- room villa 
in the hilltop village of Montisi
Click on the link to see the whole village
and information about this charming place. 
xx

The doors to our villa are to the left. 
You would never suspect the delights of what lies beyond...



The back side of the Villa. 
You can see my son, Dustin and wife, Jen
on the balcony of their room. 


A wider view...


And the rest of the Villa to the left. 


This was the view...







 180-degree views. 



We arrived late in the day, and as the sun went down I took
these photos of the amazing, breathtaking view. 





We woke up to beautiful light streaming through the arched windows. 


Some fruit, veggies and wine we picked up along the way. 


This beautiful room was my favorite place. 

Along the back wall (out of sight) were shelves holding cookbooks
and lovely books with information about the area,
including books on birds, plants and flowers. 

This villa is a second home to a family 
that live in Seattle. Through a mutual friend, my eldest son, Gabe 
discovered that they rented it out to select people when they weren't using it. 


When I got home, I ordered one of the cookbooks through Amazon. 
It is full of simple, delicious recipes. 



A peaceful corner. 


Come along and I will show you the courtyard...




Looking back. 
A wonderful place to enjoy a meal under the cool of the grape arbor,
or have a glass of wine with candlelight in the evenings. 



A bubbling fountain streaming from a large earthenware pot. 



My sweet little grandson
loved feeding the goldfish that lived there. 




A lovely sitting area with the view beyond. 




Amazing. 
xx





Beautiful vines. 


View from the garden. 
The long table is straight ahead, hidden behind the greenery. 
To the right is the beautiful breakfast room and the fountain. 


Right past the fountain is this hidden, step-down enclave,
under a large fig tree. 


A nice place to enjoy a cozy afternoon, 
away from the hot Tuscan sun. 


The guys enjoyed a few cigars here. 
xx


Daughter, Jennie enjoying the quiet in the morning. 


A lime tree. 


Ripening olives. 


Luscious grapes. 


One of several large rosemary plants. 


Beautiful pots. 
Beyond the fence, a steep drop. 



Inside this mysterious place...



Gardening tools. 
 And I think this is a well - hence the hanging watering can.  

I didn't look inside the ancient doors. 
I was a little spooked. 

_    _
*    *
0




Right above was the vine-covered balcony to our room. 



With its own private staircase. 

Next time I'll take you inside.
xx


I hope that you enjoyed this little escape, Dear Friends. 

Thank you for coming along with me! 

xx

















16 comments:

  1. Such a lovely post, I enjoyed your photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how wonderful, yes you would never know from the front entrance it would look like that inside and behind, looks like many wonderful areas to relax and enjoy the day and scenery, how wonderful you had this chance to get away with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your trip to Tuscany was wonderful in every way, Karen. It's such a charming place with beautiful views. How peaceful your stay must have been. I love that little quaint breakfast room. I can see why that other beautiful room was your favorite. It's furnished and decorated so nicely. The countryside is just gorgeous. Not sure if I mentioned to you, but Under The Tuscan Sun is my favorite movie, and when Jess was in Tuscany, she told me to watch the movie at the same time she was there, and it would be like we were together. So glad you got to take this trip of a lifetime, Karen. Looking forward to seeing more. Italy is just such an amazing place, and I appreciate their history very much.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing villa (indeed one wouldn't expect all that beauty from the entrance :)) and surroundings. Staying there one would almost feel like a queen in her castle. :)
    Tuscany is one of the most beautiful areas on earth and I'm very much looking forward to your next posts.
    Have a blessed day! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Karen,
    Tuscany, what a wonderful trip for you and your family. The villa is beautiful and the views are gorgeous. I am sure the cookbook has some delicious recipes. Wonderful memories and photos. I am going to check out your first post I missed. Take care, enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the vacation of a lifetime, i have always wanted to visit and never have. i've heard from many that tuscany is the most beautiful part of italy!! the villa is gorgeous and the views are breathtaking!! what an amazing trip to spend with family!! awesome photographs, you really captured it's essence!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Karen! Absolutely breathtaking!! I was blessed to enjoy Rome and Florence when I was in my 20's and it was so incredibly gorgeous and such amazing food!! i would have loved to spend more time in Tuscany and plan to get back there - even part of our cruise next summer. ;0) Thank you for this dreamy break and sharing your adventure. I poured over every pic!! 😍 Blessings. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful photos! Thank you for this great virtual tour!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am interested in those big flowerpots. Where were they made?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure in Italy! They were everywhere! Thank you for stopping by! xx

      Delete
  10. Karen, thank you so much for posting this -- what an amazing and beautiful place and wonderful to share it with your family ... I would never have dreamed of being able to rent such a lovely private home. (We've stayed in air b&bs on our first trip to Europe, but nothing to compare ... ours were fixed up specifically as rentals, nothing personal like this!). And what a miracle of a place the whole countryside must be... it sounds like a slice of heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been to Tuscany a few years ago and am so happy to go back through your gorgeous photos. You've caught the very best of this stunning place and it looks to have been an amazing trip, I'm so happy for you.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my word, what a fantastic trip you took to Tuscany, Karen! Wow, would I ever love to visit. I enjoyed touring this beautiful place through your fabulous photos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my this is indeed a "Breathtaking" place dear Karen !
    every shot fills the soul with deep joy and serenity my dear friend
    thank you so much for sharing the glimpses of this beautiful town that is really favorite destination for so many around the world .
    you were lucky to have chance to get visit with loved ones
    hw nice your son was able to hold the deal of rental :)
    loved the virtual tour .
    i bet memories will cherish soul forever as such opportunities come rare in life
    more blessings to you and loved ones !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such beautiful countryside and wonderful memories to share together. X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are important to me and are very much appreciated. xx Karen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...