Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Junuary

 


Hello Dear Friends! Here it is already June, and I can't believe 

half the year is gone. 

We are still stuck in a very wet and cool weather pattern

here in western Washington state.

This is not unusual and is frequently known as 'Junuary'.  

All the rain has created lush growth, but has inhibited 

any sort of control over it all, so I have been using 

this time to do a little entertaining and socializing. 

Recently we invited old friends over for a Southwest style dinner. 


  

I pulled out all of my collected decor from our 

time living in Tucson, and visits to Arizona over the years. 

I made the tray using decoupage with a scenic napkin from The Desert Museum.

The little painting is from Tucson. 

We were newly-wed when we moved to Tucson, Arizona. 

Growing up in small, New England towns, we felt the need to escape

and have some adventure before we settled down to start a family. 

We lived in a desert bungalow on the boundary of the Saguaro National Park

for two years. 

It was like moving to another planet for two born and raised New Englanders. 

We fell in love with the desert and always wanted to move back, 

but the fates had a different plan for us, so I have settled 

for the occasional visit and a small collection of treasured mementos and memories. 



My new 'Pioneer Woman' dish set that the Mr. gifted 

to me for Christmas, lends itself beautifully to 

the bright and colorful southwest style. 

With the weather being so gloomy, I wanted 

to brighten things up! 





I made guacamole from a recipe I've had for years. 

It's easy and so delicious, and not too spicy. 

Here's the recipe:


Classic Guacamole

2 large ripe avocados, mashed

1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion

2 tbsp lemon juice (1/2 lemon)

2-5 drops hot pepper sauce, if desired

1/4 to 1/2 tsp garlic powder ( I used one clove minced garlic)

1/4 tsp salt and dash of pepper

1 med. tomato, chopped fine

2 tbsp finely chopped green chilies (canned) or 1 sm. fresh chili, chopped

xx

Mix all ingredients and serve with tortilla chips. 

Will keep for a day or two in the refrigerator. 



Tequila sunrise fixings. 
Orange juice, tequila and a splash of grenadine (the sunrise). 


We have known our dear friends for over 20 years. 

Ramblin' Man and he were co-workers

and immediately hit it off. Both married their 

high-school sweethearts and were strong family men, 

with the same sense of humor. 

Through the years we've shared achievements and milestones, 

along with hardships, loss and unspeakable sorrow. 

We've shared weddings and funerals,

and now, retirement and old age.

xx 

"Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn,

old wine to drink, old friends to trust, 

and old authors to read."

- Francis Bacon -



I set up a taco bar on my 'Kitchen Queen' Hoover cabinet. 

The enamel top slides out to make a large surface 

perfect for serving. 






All the fixings, including Spanish rice. 


Soft tacos. 



I just found the taco shell holders at my local grocer during 'Cinco de mayo'. 
I'm always looking to add to my collections. 
xx


A peek at the cabinet shelves. 

I crocheted the 'doily', which is actually a dish cloth! 

I also sewed the tied-up bundle of lavender sachets. 

These are great to repel pantry moths. 


My kitchen window with my pepper and tomato salt and pepper shakers. 

Can you have too many? 

When I was a little girl, I remember visiting my Grandmother's 

little cottage for Sunday dinner (My Dad's Mom). 

She had a 'sun porch' with windows all around where 

we could play. In that little room were a few toys, 

some comfy chairs and footstools, her little parakeet in a cage, 

and best of all, her glass curio cabinet that held dozens 

of fascinating salt and pepper shakers! 

She would pick out a few that my sisters and I could play 

with, as long as we promised not to chip or drop them. 

Some were pairs of puppies and kittens, some were little 

fruits or vegetables, and some were kitchen appliances 

or tiny figurines. 

I wonder if my Grandmother knew that this simple 

gesture would create such wonderful memories for 

me? She's been long-gone, and I wish that I had told her, 

but I think she knows. 

xx


My overstuffed taco. 
Believe it or not, I was able to roll it up,
but, once done, I couldn't set it down! 
Yum! 



Streusel cake for dessert, (can you tell the Mr. cut the cake?) 
served with coffee while we watched an old movie. 
'Under the Tuscan Sun' 

Such a favorite! 

It was wet and rainy, so we couldn't walk through 
the wildflowers, but maybe you would like to go! 


Buttercup and Forget me not.



The wildflowers have taken over the front lawn
and it's been so wet and rainy, 
with Ramblin' Man on the mend from his mishap, that we 
decided to just enjoy it as is. 







Bugle weed, forget me not and buttercup


Barberry and forget me not. 



Columbine



Bleeding Heart


Pink herb Robert, yellow buttercup, blue forget me not. 
Some holly on the side. 


Fringe cup.


Wild bleeding heart. 

These are just some of the flowers blooming right now. 
Such a beautiful time of year. 

With so much turmoil and strife going on in this world, 
I find that it's so important to take time to appreciate the 
beauty. 
The simple pleasures of a walk in the garden or woodland, 
or a drive through a pretty neighborhood or the countryside, clears the mind
and brings me closer to the healing powers of nature.
Even a few potted flowers on the deck, 
enjoyed with a cup of tea, can do wonders for my spirit.
It grounds me, so that I can be there for my loved ones
during these tumultuous times. 
xx 
 


With the price of groceries at an all-time high, 
I am very careful to utilize all of my leftovers. 
Here, I've stuffed some peppers with the leftover 
seasoned taco beef mixed with the Spanish rice, 
and served with the leftover fixings on top.

I stuff the whole peppers, set them in a pan that 
holds them upright (I used a loaf pan for two), 
and put about an inch of water on the bottom of the pan. 
Bake, covered, for approximately 45 min. to one hour 
at 375 degrees. 
Cut in half and top with salsa, sour cream and shredded cheese. 

So good. 

xx




Some pretty scenes on our visits to 'the kid's' homes. 

xx

We've been catching up with our visiting 
now that we are feeling better. 

Three of my children live over an hour's drive away, 
and one lives in the same town. 
xx

We really enjoy the drives, though. 

A few more pretty scenes along the way...










I hope that you are finding time to enjoy old friends, the love of family, 
and the beauty of this magical time of year, Dear Friends. 
xx

"Wishing to be friends is quick work, 
but friendship is slow-ripening fruit."
- Aristotle -

"A friend is a person with whom I may be sincere,
Before him I may think aloud."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson -

xx















9 comments:

  1. You made a very festive table and decorations for your dinner party, so blessed to have good friends like that to share time with. I like what you did with the leftovers that's a great idea and the streusel looked great too!
    The wildflowers are so pretty. We have had more mild temps too this spring and lots of rain, which I am not complaining about when so many have so little, we found a little time there were we could plant our little garden, now just waiting for the peppers and tomatoes to do their thing :)
    Good to hear you are feeling better and hope that continues!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tacos sure look delicious, Karen, and so nicely displayed on the Pioneer Woman plates. I so love that collection of dishes and accessories. It's nice that you had a small get together with your dear friends. The taco table bar you set up is wonderful, and the decorations are festive and colorful. Your pictures of the drive always draw me in, as they are so pretty. And nature really speaks to me right now, after my hectic road trip. I'm glad you're just enjoying the wildflowers right now in your front yard. There is always something to do in the mountains, and I just worked half a day out there sprucing things up. But as my neighbor says, "when it's finished, you feel good about it." Your streusel cake looks so moist and Yummy. And do you know Under The Tuscan Sun is my favorite show? There's something new to discover every time we watch it, right? I loved hearing about your grandmother's cottage and the salt and pepper shakers. I can't believe you found that taco shell holder at the grocery store, that's so cool. You set such a lovely table for the occasion, and even put out some picture from Arizona to add a special touch. You really are a good hostess, Karen, and I'm sure your friends loved all of it.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen! I just want to pull up a chair and dive in - Mexican food, homemade guac, and tequila drink...I'm in! 😋 Your kitchen is always so cozy and sweet and the memories you share are just the same. And the way you tell stories just goes right to my family lovin heart. I'm so glad you guys are feeling well and able to get out and enjoy more of life again. Thanks for continuing to share your lovely home, beautiful gardens and flowers, crafts, recipes, family time - I just savor it all! I need to get back to sharing more too and not stuck in such a rut. Hopefully work on that more this summer. I hope your lovely summer days ahead and filled with abundant blessings. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh the computer just ate my whole long message and I am too tired... synopsis. It's a celebration at your house, the reds, the dishes and aren't groceries high? In MD I could grow vege but not so easy here. Gotta come back to paint the buttercups...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastically colourful post! Much better to stay in and avoid the chilly weather and make your own sunshine with good friends. I'm finding this year that we have seen so many distant friends who are on the move making up for being locked down for a couple of years, which I've really enjoyed. It's good to see all the wildflowers, I love them. It's been a bit windy for the butterflies so not so many of those around yet. Take care and enjoy the long days while they last. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen, that looks like so much fun. I was never one who thought I would like the desert but after a trip to my brother's in Arizona, I have to admit that it really can be a beautiful place. I still don't think I could take the heat though. My brother lives there with no A/C and I just don;t know how they survive. Mexican food is my go to dinner when we go out. It is hard to beat it..Happy Weekend..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, my sweet friend... What wonderful Pioneer collection! How charming and cozy your home is... As ever! Gorgeous pictures. Hugs and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Karen! How nice to visit with dear friends. I learned something new about you in that you lived in Arizona for awhile after leaving New England. Your taco dinner is making me hungry and guacamole is a favorite of mine. Your Kitchen Queen sure comes in handy. I hope that you and your hubby are feeling well. Happy Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Karen, I didn't realize that you lived in New England and Arizona. How wonderful to get together with old friends and have that wonderful dinner you made. I enjoyed looking at the pretty photos of your area where you live. Thanks for visiting and I hope you have a nice summer Karen.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are important to me and are very much appreciated. xx Karen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...