Thursday, April 23, 2015

Spring Country Drive with Good Fences


Come along with me, Dear Friends,
 and we will take 
a quiet country drive on 
the back roads that I call home. 

It is a beautiful spring day
and the trees are leafing out, 
with cherry and apple trees blooming. 


Here we see a pretty pink azalea 
lighting up this front yard along
a neat white fence. 


Blue skies, pink trees and white fencing
make a lovely scene. 

We have the road all to ourselves! 


A lacy crab-apple - delicate
against a horizon with an 
ancient Douglas Fir. 


A chain link boundary fence beautifully framed
with lovely trees.

I love the burgundy and lime Japanese maples
at the end.


Trees as fence posts are dear to my country heart <3


This beautiful crab-apple stays
protected behind
a tall and sturdy fence.

Shafts of sunlight cloud
my camera lens.


Dappled sunlight on a country lane
with tall trees.

Wooden telephone poles
make me smile and remind
me of childhood days.

These are slowly going away,
replaced by steel or going underground.


Mt. Rainier shimmers on the horizon
behind a lovely green field.

A section of new boundary fence stands
underneath a tall Douglas fir.

I would estimate this fir to be at least
100 years old, maybe older.


A split rail fence dwarfed by tall trees.

As a child, I lived in a log cabin
in a forest of 150 year old pine trees,
on a dirt lane by a large lake.

We didn't have a lawn - instead,
our yard was carpeted with golden needles.

Dappled sunlight under tall trees
brings back sweet memories
of childhood days....


Cascade mountains and Douglas fir
form the backdrop to a pretty farm
with flowering trees and large greenhouse.


There's something so charming about a rusty tin roof.

My Great Grandmother lived on a farm in Vermont
in a house with a tin roof.

My Mother always spoke fondly of
sleepovers under hand-pieced quilts,
listening to the sound of rain on the tin roof.


Pink blossoms have given way to bright,
rosy leaves on these ornamental plum
 along a pretty rail fence.


A young red alder forest leafing out
with Mt. Rainier in the background.

This tract of land was logged about
10 years ago and red alder have sprung
up in the void.

Red alder is a reclamation species,
quickly populating and stabilizing disturbed land.
It is a short-lived species, giving
shelter to young evergreens
 and dying out by the
time the evergreens mature.

Nature always works in amazing ways.


Our local equine veterinary clinic
with lovely white fencing
for recovering patients.
Can you see Mt. Rainier behind the trees?



Reflections on the hood of my little Ford Ranger
as we take the final road to home.

Green tree pollen collects in the nooks and crannies.

Soon these green fields will be full of wildflowers.


This familiar road has been traveled
countless times over many long years,
with mini-vans full of children,
on shopping trips with my Dear Mother,
and special outings with my
sweet Ramblin' Man.

No matter where I roam, or
who I am with - even when
 all alone,
my heart always skips a little
beat when I am returning home.



There's no place like home!




Thank you, Dear Friends for coming along!

xoxo

'I breathed a song into the air,
It fell to earth, I knew not where;
For who has sight so keen and strong,
That it can follow the flight of song -

The song from beginning to end,
I found again in the heart of a friend'.

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

xoxo

Linking with : The Run*A*Round Ranch Report - Good Fences

30 comments:

  1. That was a lovely ride. Felt like I was riding through it all too!
    The split rail fencing is one of my favorites.
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the fresh green lawns everywhere! you have some mighty fine pine trees there and i love the rail fences all around. thanks, karen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I would love to ride with you for one of these drives! You see such amazing countryside and a variety of fences. Beautiful....everything you see! Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got some really GREAT shots..and everything is so green and lush looking---lucky girl!!!! You have all kinds of fences there- I even like the chain link one!
    And- I have always loved Longfellow! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing like a drive in the country. Just beautiful, thanks for taking us along!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  6. What lovely rides/drives you take. There are so many great fences on this journey. I think one of my favorites this weeks were the lovely pink trees/white fencing (third photo down) and the one with the fencing that had the tree as a post. Always a pleasure to stop by your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved this drive with you and also love the depth of colors in your rain rich country. How interesting that you grew up in a log cabin! What a wonderful heritage, and also fun hearing about your grandmothers tin roof. Our cabin has a tin roof and i absolutely LOVE hearing the sound of the rain on it. What blessings in our lives. Anxious to see the wildflowers in your area... and bet they will be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did not know that you grew up in a log cabin!!! How cool and amazing is that!! I bet you have all kinds of stories!! And yes you are so right...there is no place like home! Loved your blooms at your entrance and my goodness are all of the trees beautiful where you are! And your view from your house......heaven! Have a great weekend Karen! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Karen,
    thank you for this wonderful drive along so mayn wonderful fences and places! I love thos old wooden ones betwenn the trees and I love the blooming trees ....
    But, you are right , it always is wonderful to get back home again ;O) There is no place like home!
    Wishing you a wonderful weekend, sending Love and hugs and blessings,
    Claudia xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dearest Karen,
    What a fairy tale like spring time you got with the crap apple blossoms and cherry trees. Wooden telephone poles are very much the sight of the street I grew up on... Fond memories!
    Thanks for taking the time to make these photos for all of us.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for taking us along on the ride to see these wonderful views, beautiful tall trees, great reflection in the bonnet of the car and great variety of fences.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww another beautiful drive with you Karen. I look forward to coming along with you, and you have such a beautiful way with your words as you talk us through the drive. Thank you for sharing your beautiful corner of the world with us.

    I loved hearing of your growing up years living in a cabin, and your mother lying on a quilt listening to the rain. It's the simple things in this life that bless our hearts greatly, isn't it?

    You are so right, "there is no place like home" I too love my home and am thankful I am able to be home and enjoy all that God has for me right where He has me.

    Have a beautiful day, Karen.
    Love, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for this lovely country drive. I can almost feel being there.

    Have a lovely weekend ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these drives together my Karen!
    Where you live is so beautiful and special. I can't get enough of those flowering trees and it makes me want to poke all of ours in the area to get a "move on"!!

    Those mountains always especially take my breath away. And when you share memories about your family - it just speaks to my heart.

    Happy weekend to you Hon! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Karen, What a great way to start my day - going on a country drive and seeing the beautiful countryside via your post today. I don't think there's anyplace prettier than western Washington in springtime! The lovely trees, green fields and I can't forget the beautiful mountains. I really enjoyed this! Hugs, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Karen,
    It was so nice going for a drive with you, I love riding in the car :-) It's so nice to see Spring! But, nothing is as sweet as that delicate wreath on your front door, it's darling!!
    Hugs,
    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoyed being on the seat next to you for this drive!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am here in Oregon and blessed to have similar scenes to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful fences and beautiful flowering trees! Love the drive to see your beautiful spring. The tall pines are awesome...we have a lot of tall pines in the south too, and pine needles where the black scorpions would hide. :-) No plants would grow where those pine needles fell, and they were a mess to clean up. But, true to your sweet nature, you can only say that they are a carpet of "golden pine needles." You are a gem, sweet Karen! I know they bring back good memories for you. I loved your comment about the rain on the tin roof and the quilts at your great-grandmothers. I have the same sweet memories that pine trees stir as well, of dear family members and sweet childhood experiences. I always enjoy seeing your area because it is so different from where I am, as you know, but it also has differences (and some similarities) to other areas where I have lived, and it's a truly beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sometimes it just look´s like Sweden, the nature, the roads...very similar!
    Great pictures from you and best wishes for a lovely weekend now...
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
  21. What beautiful scenery, thanks so much for the wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for the beautiful ride! I love all the green surrounding you and the beautiful blossoms!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I enjoyed this drive and the beautiful scenery.. Lovely photos and fence finds.. have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a lovely ride that was, Karen, through your countryside. Gorgeous scenery and then there is home sweet home. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a beautiful drive, I just love seeing all the leaves pop out for the first time and the flowering trees are the best. We planted a pretty good size azalea bush last summer and was hoping it would flower this spring but nothing so far. I agree it is great to get out but there is nothing like coming back home :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, there is no place like home, indeed. What a lovely drive this is with the blossom trees and the charming fences. I especially like the lawn with the green azaleas - it's so green and groomed. Nature is certainly amazing, and I loved seeing a bit of nature on your drive before you headed back to your home sweet home.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  27. You live in an idyllic place Karen. Love all the homes and their fences and the variety of fir trees. Thank you for sharing us your side of fence. There is truly no place like home sweet home. Hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I always enjoy it when you take us for a ride through your beautiful countryside Karen. The trees look magnificent with their blossoms!

    Happy week!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Of everything you showed us, yes, the picture from your own home was the best! I know that's not the only reason home is your favorite place :), but still . . . such a gorgeous and awe-inspiring view! Thanks for taking us on a trip of your beautiful area. Hoping our trees will be blooming in a few weeks, too.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Good Morning my friend,
    oh, I realy love your fence drives! So I get beautiful pictures of a beautiful part of the world. Thank you.
    All my best and happy days
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are important to me and are very much appreciated. xx Karen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...