Wednesday, January 14, 2015

A Heartfelt Thankyou


I want to thank you, Dear Friends, for your 
kind and caring expressions of sympathy 
for the loss of our rescue dog, Champ. 

Reading all of your kind words has helped so much, 
and makes me realize, once again, 
how very Dear you all are to me. 

You are a community of the most thoughtful, 
lovely, empathetic people and it is 
the one reason I love to blog. 

I know that losing a pet is not the most world
shaking event in the scheme of things, 
and that a pet can never equal the loss and 
pain that occurs with family members, 
or the daily struggle of those dealing
with serious health issues and 
other tragedies. 

But you have extended your love and kindness, 
for this small grief, sharing your own 
personal experiences to ease the sadness. 
For that I am most humbly grateful. 


I think what touches us most about our pets is
their capacity for unconditional love, loyalty, 
patience, and their silent long suffering. 

Most of all, I think it is their innocence
and openness that captures our hearts. 

All qualities that we, as humans, 
find so difficult to sustain, 
except for those in the sainthood. 

It is the loss of this innocence that effects us
so deeply when we lose these 
precious companions. 

It is this that we recognize as the common
bond we share as pet owners, 
and what makes us kindred spirits. 


I know some of you have expressed concern over Whitey, 
in the loss of his best friend, once again. 

He is definitely grieving, and we are doing all we can
to help him along. He is doing the same for us. 


We have brought in reinforcements in the form 
of these two little sweetie-pies - Weenie Baby
and Peanut, my daughter's mini-dachshunds. 

They have been frequent house-guests over the years, 
and once again, they will be having an extended
stay here, as my daughter is preparing to move
in as a room-mate, to save for a home of her own
for a few months, and can't take these little ones with her. 


They are a wonderful distraction and companions
for Whitey at this time, and they all get along
very well. 

It is a blessing for me, too, having these little 
charmers to cheer up my days.


They bring some happiness to our morning walks, 
as this was a favorite activity for Whitey
with Champ. 

Whitey has most definitely lost his enthusiasm, 
but I am hoping in the next few weeks that these
little bundles of activity will help bring him around. 

Of course, we will have to find him a companion
eventually, but for now we can't even begin
to think of replacing Champ. 


We also have this little character to keep us company -
Ling Ling, my Dear Mother's cat,
 who is always full of mischief. 

We took her jingly bell collar off because she has
no protection from those wild things with Champ gone
(until Whitey recovers and is interested in going outside once again). 

I hope the birds watch out, but luckily she hates the cold and wet 
weather and mostly stays inside. 


As does Miss Maggie, who wouldn't think of getting her 
little toes wet and stays burrowed in the blankets
until spring arrives. 



Like all cats, they keep us entertained! 



And then there is this guy - Birdy Boy, 
the cockatiel, who shares my time
in between, especially when I am blogging, 
as the computer is in 'his room'. 

Here he is taking a peek out the window
on a furlough from his cage. 


What would we do without these sweet, innocent
companions we take into our hearts? 

If only they could live forever. 

I want to thank you all, once again, for your kindness
and compassion. All of your words have helped
to mend a broken heart. 

A special thanks to Claudia for sharing the 'Rainbow Bridge'
with me and my readers. 
It gives all of us as animal lover's, hope. 

xoxo

I will be taking a short break 
and hope to return soon
with a stitched together, mended heart. 

xoxo

35 comments:

  1. I'm happy to hear that you are caring for your daughter's two dogs for a while which will bring some joy and friendship into your home and for Whitey. I don't remember that you had a bird though. Does he talk? Wishing you comfort this week. Hugs. Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pamela, thank you for your kind words :) No, Birdy Boy does not talk, but he does like to imitate whistle songs and he likes to dance to a good tune. Some of the commercials on television have whistle songs and he gets so excited when he hears them, bobbing his head up and down. Hugs xo Karen

      Delete
  2. Well, I have been away for quite a while so missed this. I am so so sorry that you lost such a precious pet. The sad thing it is that it is like losing a family member in a way. They are like our children in their dependence on us and their unwavering, unconditional love. God bless you as you heal. I am glad you have some distractions to help you over the worst of it. Hugs to you- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. very glad you've got the 2 dachsies to distract and fill the quietness, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for all of you. Looking forward to having you back with us soon. Love, m & jb

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely pet family you have. The little cuties should keep you on your toes for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you have some little visitors for comfort...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. The loss of a beloved pet is so hard. I'm sorry I missed your post, but wanted to say that I do feel for you. Our dogs have always been part of the family and the loss of one is terribly hard. I know that all the company you've brought in will help you and Whitey!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a good thing to have the other dogs around to distract you and they are so cute! I hope you feel better. I will miss you, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an adorable menagerie to keep you company! xoox

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bless your dear heart, Karen.
    I'm happy to see that you have those precious hounds staying and trust that they will bring joy onto your home for all to enjoy.
    These are such heart breaking times we go through when we have pets as part of the family. It's hard.
    Rest in the Lord, Karen, He's all you need.

    Love and hugs, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad Whitey (& you folks) have those adorable dachshunds to be a nice distraction. I will continue to keep you in my prayers for these healing days ahead. I hope the memories you had with Champ will provide comfort when you think of him.
    God bless xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. My dear friend Karen,
    I am so glad, you and Whitey have so many wonderful friends arround, to help you and comfort you voer the loss of loved Champ .....
    The Mini-Dachshounds are so adorable, and good to have Miss Maggie with you too!
    and, thank you for your special words to me, I so appreciated ...I can feel with you, I lost my loved Westi 12 years ago ...and it still hurts, when I think of our so funny time together...yes, our Pets are part of our families!
    Take care, big hugs and lots of Love for you,
    Claudia xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Karen,

    So sorry for your loss dear friend and sending lots of love and hugs at this time.
    After our sweet dog Heidi, a Giant Schnauzer passed I know how it must be for you.
    Hope the happy memories you shared will help you through this time

    Love Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Karen enjoy your blog break and every minute with your little house guests.See you soon. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  15. God's timing is always perfect. He brought in your daughter's sweet dogs at the perfect time. Yu continue to be in my prayers, sweet friend. Love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I will keep you in my thoughts until you return - and beyond - and I hope that caring for your daughters two little dogs provides Whitey with some comfort and you with some distraction a little as well. Hugs. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. So sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved Champ, It's always sad when such a devoted animal leaves us. I know exactly how you feel after the loss of our last Labrador, Mr France wouldn't let me have another dog, as he couldn't bare to see me so upset . I'll always remember the unending faithfull love all three grandmother, mother, and baby pup, gave to me. I'm so pleased you have your daughters little ones to help you get over this sad period. Enjoy your break and come back refreshed

    ReplyDelete
  18. The lost of a beloved pet is so hard...a dear friend is gone and will never be back. I feel for you and I hope Champ has found his place where he is now. My english is not perfect but I hope you understand what I mean...
    All the best for you, take care!
    Warm hug,
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Karen !!! Sus animalitos pueden gozar de la naturaleza .. Deseó que tenga un buen día
    Cariños

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so glad that Whitey has two friends to help get through the loss of Champ. My dog Coco has Syringomyelia and one day her life will be cut short but I know that she will go to Rainbow Bridge and she'll wait for me. Give Whitey a huge hug from us both xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Karen, I missed your previous post, so I share now my condolences for the loss of your beloved dog. Bless you for your good care of him. Praying for healing and the blessings of good memories. xo Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dearest Karen,
    Well, you should not downplay it as our dear pets ARE family members and their loss does really affect us in a big way. But it is so true that when shared with kindred spirits, we also share our grief and it becomes less of a burden.
    Glad you got those two grand-dogs for a while; such a blessing to all!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  23. Karen,
    I'm glad to read that the dashungs are keeping your mind busy. I hope you and all your furry friends will have fun walking outside soon. Thinking of you all.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear Karen,

    I missed your last post. So sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved dog. I can imagine how difficult it must be for you. Thinking of you and sending you a big hug!

    Madelief xox

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm so sorry for your loss....it's never easy to lose a beloved pet. We all know how you feel. Wish I could give you a hug. Take care and hug those other sweeties, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm so sorry for the loss of your beloved dog. I'm glad you have the company of all the other sweet pets of yours.
    Much thoughts and big hug!
    xoxo Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Karen,
    Your last post is truly filled with love, gratitude and grief - I am so sorry for your loss! Such a wonderful life Champ has had with you - feeling safe and loved, and being understood and respected. My friend has also a dog that has had a difficult start - a dog that has lived in the streets with no owner - yet he has developed to a brave, cheerful and faithful companion of the family. Such a fine timing to receive "the troops" from your daughter - to fill the house, making it feel less empty.
    My warm thoughts and hugs to you, Nina

    ReplyDelete
  28. The two mini doxies are incredibly cute, and I am glad they are a distraction right now for you and for Whitey. We raised dachshunds once many many years ago, and enjoyed them when we did, though I wouldn't get another one now because of their loud and pretty regular barking. The most wonderful dog we ever had was a beautiful Rhodesian Ridgeback named Penny that we lost from cancer. We also had a great English Springer Spaniel once. If I ever do get another dog, I would get a rescue dog. In fact, though our landlord doesn't allow pets I think he would have to allow a disabled-veteran-companion dog, and I think that would be such a good thing for my hubby. He misses Penny a LOT.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Meant to ask....would you like to join our book club!? Mom finished her book, of course, and she had started a new blog called Springtime in Magnolia, after the book, to tell about it, but then it was just "there" and she asked me one day if I would like to start a book club with her. So we turned that blog into the Springtime in Magnolia Book Club. You have to let Mom know your email address so she can make you an administrator. Those of us who are post a book review every month (here starting out, you can do more than one a month till we get lots more members) They don't have to be what you are reading now, but books you have read & enjoyed over the years. Check it out, and if you are interested, join in!

    ReplyDelete
  30. oh I am so sorry for your loss. It is so hard losing these pets that we come to think of as our family, but so glad that you have some other "fur and feathered friends" to distract you. Blessings to you in the new year! Sympathetic hugs from Texas

    ReplyDelete
  31. The loss of a pet is difficult as i well know. Over my 62 years I have gone through so many losses and each one difficult. It is never easier. They are like children to us and we do suffer heartfelt loss.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Dropping in to see how your doing? -- Sure enjoyed all the photos - are they taken from your new camera..
    Hugs dear friend always hoping the best for you...

    ReplyDelete
  33. Karen my deepest thoughts and prayers are with you. I wanted to stop back in and say that we are all here if you need anything at all.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are important to me and are very much appreciated. xx Karen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...