Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Preparations with a Grateful Heart


I am hosting Thanksgiving this year
and I have been busy making preparations.

I hung this little chalkboard in my kitchen
to get my just rewards :)


I also made this sign for the occasion.
I really love the message.


I used a transfer from the craft store
 on chipboard that I painted a soft cream.


I wanted to give it an aged appearance,
so I watered down some gray craft paint
and lightly brushed over it, using a paper towel
to remove excess, then I splattered it a bit.


Much better, don't you think?
My sweet Mr. drilled two holes for hanging.


Now I am ready to cook up a storm!
I am cooking for 12.

Not too many, but a crowd for my small cottage!
I love to cook and I cook to love.
<3


I am determined to stay relaxed and do as much prep as possible
so I can enjoy Thanksgiving day
with the ones I love.

I am keeping things simple.


I made the centerpiece from my favorite vintage
box, some tall glassed candles
and a gathering of nature's bounty.


Viewed from above......


I've set up a small table in front of the daybed
to accommodate everyone. 

I like this so much, 
I might keep it this way....

*Maybe*


I made the Autumn Leaves out of clay 
a couple of years ago. 


My hutch sits opposite. I will serve pies here. 


Scrabble letters spell it out.
xo

One of my decoupaged trays in behind.

(I used pretty napkins)


I just found this little basket at my favorite vintage store.
There are 5 more nested inside!

The little drawers hold my art supplies.


I've set up a coffee bar on my kitchen queen.


Dishes are washed and waiting.


My Mother's flour sifter will be used tomorrow to bake
apple pies with the recipe she passed down.

It is during the holidays that we miss our loved ones the most.


Something to make me smile
inside the pantry door.

I stenciled this years ago
when my children were young.

<3


With such a small house, I set up a wine bar
on my treadle sewing machine in my living room.


This is a good excuse to bring out my mid-century modern
wine and cheese platter.


I love the design.
Another thrifty find.

I mix all eras in my vintage cottage style.


The beautiful hand-painted tray was a recent birthday gift
from my sweet sis-in-law back in New England.
xoxo
I love using pretty printed napkins.


And some just for fun. :)


A favorite Washington State vintage drink tray.


We are located between Puyallup and Wenatchee.
The Cascade Mountains separate the two.

Puyallup is a local Native American tribe, pronounced
Pyu-allup. Maybe the first one to write
the pronunciation mixed up the vowels!

Right now the Puyallup River is at flood stage
as we have had a very large amount of rain and expecting
more. We can hear the creek below our little mountain
 roaring with run-off from the mountains.
Mt. Rainier is closed to visitors as it has received
6 inches of rain
melting our recent mountain snows.
The weather system is coming directly from Hawaii
in a large stream of moisture called
'The Pineapple Express'.
We always get flooding in the river valleys
during these weather events,
but we are high and dry.



Spending time with loved ones - sharing good food,
laughter, and love - with gratitude for all of our
many blessings, is what Thanksgiving is all about.

I am also grateful, Dear Friends, to all of you
who brighten my day, lift me up, and
bless me with your sweet friendship.

xoxoxo

Happy Thanksgiving
xo

23 comments:

  1. Your home is so beautiful, and all of your preparations and little touches here and there make it so lovely! I hope that you have a great day and enjoy yourselves. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. tolle bilder, danke und liebe grüße von angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so beautifully organised Karen and your home is so inviting. Have a wonderful day with your loved ones and I hope you get some time to be waited on yourself. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Karen, wishing you luck with all your preparations and cooking for Thanksgiving. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a lovely home with the most beautiful decorations. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything looks lovely Karen, so warm and inviting! I had to laugh at the pickle fork comment! Your centerpiece is beautiful; I love the beauty of nature reflected there. Hopefully, everyone will remember to kiss the cook!
    Now I have to get going with some cooking and setting up, too. The 4 twenty-somethings in my house are all still in bed, bless their hearts; they've all been working hard.
    Have a great day with your family. Oh, and The Pineapple Express, what an apt expression!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello dear Karen,
    oh, I can smell your delicious cooking for your Thanksgiving Guests! They will feel so well treated in your warm and wonderful home!
    I love the way you do everything, I love your napkins, I love your wall ornaments......I love your home :O)
    I wish you a wonderful Thanksgiving, have a great time with your guests and enjoy!
    sending Love and hugs and blessings,
    claudia xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. i know that your guests will get the full warmth of your home, your cooking and your heart. :) enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cottage looks welcoming and ready for your family gathering, Karen. I enjoy seeing all your vintage charm with your sweet decor. Happy Thanksgiving blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am thankful for blogger friends like you! Your preparations look wonderful and I know you are going to have a lovely Thanksgiving tomorrow. I am having our clan over here, but it is a small clan: daughter and son-in-law, grandson and our SIL's brother, and the brother's son. The son has started living with our daughter and son-in-law just since a week and a half ago. He's had a troubled upbringing (and no rules) but things are going well. He's just seven months younger than our grandson, and they are first cousins. Our grandson seems to be adjusting to this new situation very well also. There is a daughter too, who needs prayers to be cared for in a home that will give her love and direction. Our kids don't have room for her, or finances. The father (my son-in-law's brother) is not very responsible and doesn't even have a car or a decent job so going to him would not work well either. She just needs prayer. God will work this out for her somehow.

    This was a beautiful post. I wish I was as ready as you are! By the way, I wanted to tell you, it was my GREAT grandmother who had the knitting needles made for her by my GREAT grandfather. So awesome! And her hat pins. I have a photo of her wearing a hat with hat pins. All the treasures I received were so precious. Need to share more of the things I already had because I am so fortunate to have so many wonderful things. God has blessed us so greatly! Blessings to you this Thanksgiving weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are well prepared in advance, so all should go well for your Thanks Giving with friends & family I love the way you have used every possible surface to make things easy for guests to help themselves, for me that's the key for a successful stress free celebration. You will be the hostess with the mostest. :) Enjoy your yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have done well everything looks lovely.
    Merle..........

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have such a beautiful kitchen...old fashioned in a really good way! The vintage touches are all just perfect! Happy Thanksgiving my friend! Sweet hugs from Florida, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dearest Karen,
    Wishing you and yours a very warm and cozy Thanksgiving! You not only try to feed all your loved ones but also feed their souls.
    Things look very homey!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  15. Everything feels warm, collected and loved. .....like home.
    Have a happy and blessed Thanksgiving.
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  16. hola dear friend!!! que linda es su casa llena de detalles hermosos con objetos que me encantan muy vintage!! happy thansgiving!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your home is lovely and seems ready to entertain all your guest. Stay safe and warm and have fun for Thanksgiviing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Best wishes for a lovely Thanksgiving and this was a interesting post! So many beautiful pictures...
    Take care!
    Warmly,
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
  19. Everything looked so pretty and cozy! Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!
    I love your little table that way - looks like a perfect spot to enjoy coffee in the morning, I think you should keep it.

    Hope you're staying high & dry and Have a wonderful weekend dear sweet Gal. xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful glimpse of your home and Thanksgiving preparations. Everything looks so cozy and inviting. I trust you had the desire of your heart and that you were able to relax and enjoy your company.

    Wishing you a beautiful weekend...
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Karen,

    I loved seeing your beautiful setup for the thanksgiving dinner - everything looks so warm and inviting. Hope you and your family had a wonderful dinner and now you can relax and enjoy the weekend.
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  22. I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving, Karen. I love the white dishes. That's what I used this year also. And that vintage drink tray with the red rose caught my eye, it's lovely.

    Have a peaceful Sunday, dear.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are important to me and are very much appreciated. xx Karen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...